• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 Oil Pickup Thread Help

So I did manage to get a pickup to thread in, barely. I still don't believe that its fully fixed and I hope oil problems don't plague me over this. The engagement is way less than ideal and I think that the angle on the pickups themselves aren't seating well with my pan. But I can get the pan over with a gasket on, and a little locktite to the threads left to dry right now, I think it'll be ok.

I would do what is needed to get the pickup should flat & parallel with the pan bottom. I needed to use the NPT tap to open the block a bit on a couple motors and get the pickup correctly oriented to the pan. If the block really is NPS it won't hurt to carefully run the NPT tap in a little to get the engagement and pickup orientation you want.

I would do what is needed to get the pickup should flat & parallel with the pan bottom. I needed to use the NPT tap to open the block a bit on a couple motors and get the pickup correctly oriented to the pan. If the block really is NPS it won't hurt to carefully run the NPT tap in a little to get the engagement and pickup orientation you want.

I gave it one more good twist and managed to secure it pretty good

If it truly were straight pipe thread it would screw together like a nut & bolt, with a gasket/O ring to create the final seal...

Hopefully your pick up tube will be fine....

If it truly were straight pipe thread it would screw together like a nut & bolt, with a gasket/O ring to create the final seal...

Hopefully your pick up tube will be fine....

We'll see! lol
Seems nice and tight seal, and like it didnt damage or anything. Was just tight going into the block.

We'll see! lol
Seems nice and tight seal, and like it didnt damage or anything. Was just tight going into the block.

If you want to test before sealing the pan & taking your chances you could use masking tape over the opening in the pick up tube & use a vacuum tester with a rubber cone at the oil pump mounting flange...

Screen Shot 2021-06-03 at 11.41.17 PM.png

Auto Transport Service
Back