• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 or 440 which would you build?

69redrunner

Local time
2:39 AM
Reaction score
If you had 2 buildable cores, both complete from carb to pan...
one being a 69' 383 and the other a 70' 440...

Which one would YOU rebuild for YOUR mild street machine? and why?

Thanks for your input...looking forward to hearing what you guys and gals think!

Have a great day.

440 has more power for the money. But if you dont want alot of power you could sell the 440 and put that money toward the 383. (Who doesn't want more power?)

there is no substitute for cubic inches!go with the 440.more horses,and torque.plus your car will have more resale value if that ever comes up.unless of course the 383 is #'s match.

Pull the crank out of the 383 and pull the rods out of the 440 then order some pistons for that combo in a 400 block using a 0 deck height. Then get some Eddy RPM heads and have fun. Big bore short stroke long rod engines are cool.

It's just alot cooler to say 440 when someone asks you what you got :) Not to mention you will be helping to support the economy by filling up a little more often.

It's just alot cooler to say 440 when someone asks you what you got :) Not to mention you will be helping to support the economy by filling up a little more often.

I dont know how many times I had to explain to people that the 383 in my Newport was NOT a stroked SBC..."Oh I didnt know Mopar built a big block 383" and yes...saying "eh, it's just a little 440" definitely gives you the cool-guy factor, not to mention more power to begin with!

Im not a engine builder, i listen to whats said here and have come to learn these guys know there stuff... Im hoping to find another car for a home with my 400, and if it does happen, i would like to do myself, or have done what Cranky said.. straight up build i think the 440 would have to be the one..

nuff said...

Attachments

• DSC00325.JPG
    DSC00325.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 443
Or to put it another way, the only substitute for cubic inches is more cubic inches. I love 383's but if you want a good power to cost ratio go with the 440.

Sorry 69redrunner, but your question is sort of like asking whether we'd rather watch black and white or colour, or if we'd rather have a 26" television, or a 50". I don't think anybody here is going to recommend the 383. Great engine, but...the 440 is greatER.

-=Photon440=-

Sorry 69redrunner, but your question is sort of like asking whether we'd rather watch black and white or colour, or if we'd rather have a 26" television, or a 50". I don't think anybody here is going to recommend the 383. Great engine, but...the 440 is greatER.

-=Photon440=-

well put

Thanks for all the replies. Good input.
The reason for the question is this..
I have long been a "purist", try to keep things original whenever possible.
My 69' runner has a 70 440 in it, I have a 69 383 on the stand.
My original thoughts were "if I can't have the # matching block at least I'll have a "date correct" and size correct replacement.

I understand the "they are only original once" statements as well.

Just kicking things around, weighing the options.....and quite possibly changing my philosophy.:yes_no:

383 will rev higher and build power faster, but 440 will win top end.

If there's no substiture for displacement why do 440 and 426 engines beat 454's and 460's??

If there's no substiture for displacement why do 440 and 426 engines beat 454's and 460's??
lol!that is comparing apples and oranges if i have ever heard it.that is like woundering why the 800 plus cubic in catapillar tractor cant outrun my motorcycle.

The 383 may build power faster, but it will be building less power faster. :)

If you had a 400 I would say to build that as you can usually do more with them. But seeing as you don't I'm going to vote for 440 as well.

If you want the best of both worlds - keeping it original looking and more power - cut down a 440 crank and stuff it in the 383 block. You should also cut .125" off the radius of the counterweights and use 440 rods. Pistons are available off the shelf. You will have a low block 426, or a 431 with .030" overbore, and no one will ever know!

If you want the best of both worlds - keeping it original looking and more power - cut down a 440 crank and stuff it in the 383 block. You should also cut .125" off the radius of the counterweights and use 440 rods. Pistons are available off the shelf. You will have a low block 426, or a 431 with .030" overbore, and no one will ever know!

Thanks Meep, that is an interesting approach. Sounds like you have some experience with this combo. Have you used this set-up before?

Auto Transport Service
Back