• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help identifying 440 valve cover year

mbc0724

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:46 PM
Reaction score
Good morning all: The following 3 photos are the right side valve cover on my 1971 440 RT. Does this valve cover look correct to you for 1971? I am wondering about the tabs (which appear to be for plug wires) at the rear on top of the cover, and on the side of the cover near the intake manifold. I have not seen these tabs on some of the other 1971s. Are these valve covers for a 1972 perhaps, or something else? Or are they correct for this 1971 car? thanks for your input.

vc1.jpg

vc2.jpg

vc3.jpg

I know some C-body cars had those tabs for the wires. I am not big in identifying valve covers but just to help that appears to be the LH side not the RH...

Thank you. And yes, it is the driver's side not the right side. Looks like I may be searching for some covers.

Thank you. And yes, it is the driver's side not the right side. Looks like I may be searching for some covers.
The stamping is the same on that side. You could just grind off the wire tabs and repaint.

Unless you are in UK or Australia, drivers side is the left (your pics) side, passenger is the right.
Agree, C-bodies had the rear plug wire run inside edge of the vc, around the back of the exhaust manifold .

Last edited:
I would just pull the cover. Carefully grind off the wire tab. ( carefully ) prep and repaint and call it good.

Of course this is provided your car is a 71 .
Best I remember there is / was a mid year change over between 70 and 71 models . But for the life of me can't remember when said date was

Last edited:
Thanks--it is a 71, and I appreciate all the input.

Auto Transport Service
Back