• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 stroker question

Moparich

Local time
2:33 AM
Reaction score
anybody here have any comments about a 383 stroked to 498. i am gearing up for a winter project

anybody here have any comments about a 383 stroked to 498. i am gearing up for a winter project

I would not waste the time and money on a 383. 440s are cheap to buy cores and much more available in terms of others proven knowledge of parts combos.

383s were great stock engines in their day, but even back in the day when they blew up they were nearly always replaced with 440s for this same basic reason. There is no replacement for cubes in my opinion so why not start out with more and stroke it?

Just takes a lot of gas to feed a lot of cubic inches

"not that there's anything wrong with that":grin:

i am a bit partial to the 383. but its 60lbs lighter. plus like you said everyone has a 440. not knockin'em.

was ust lookin to find if anyone else has done one

That's a nice motor to build. With the chevy rod size there is hardly any grinding to get it to fit. Use the best heads you can afford. A 493 with junk heads will run like a 383 with junk heads.

Yeah. If you get some raised port heads to go on your LB, then you can use a standard RB intake on it. BUT....you'll have to whip up a valley pan of some sort

First of all you guys have got to stop smoking what ever it is your smoking when talking about raised port heads! What do you think this is a Chevy Site! Mopars are not 65 # lighter for a B blk than an RB blk try 35 #! If your going to stroke any mopar try starting with a 400 b blk then use 440 rods and make real power,w/Indy heads or your choice! Later.........John

Why would you think we're smokin sumthin just cause we're talking bout raised port heads?

Raised Port Heads ?

Tell me which Mopar heads have raised ports! Max Wedge Heads are not raised,they are just higher, and wider! Hemi Heads are not raised from the factory. They might raise the port a slight bit on the exhaust and intake a little but not enough to have to do any serious porting ! Have a great day, John Lang...........

They're AFTERMARKET heads, although I believe there are some M.P. ALUMINUM heads that are raised port.

The ports in these heads are raised so much, you can use a standard RB intake on a LB motor. But if you use them on an RB you have to either use an intake made for that, or use a RB intake with a spacer on both sides.
Pn P5153654 (head)
P5249189 (spacer)

scroll down till you see them

http://www.mopartsracing.com/parts/bb.html

69 Runner

I stand corrected! I was thinking factory production type, and i'm not making excuses! I thought i knew my old Mopars pretty well, but never to old to learn. Thanks John Lang...............Hell I'm always learning new ways to lose a race..........Later

No prob. Guess somewhere along the way one or the other of us should have said something about O.E. heads. I never really gave it any thought.:edgy:

I see nothing wrong with stroking a 383, especially if you have a good block and parts lying around. The bore size is as large as the largest brand X stuff and those get stroked all the time. If you were starting from scratch I'd say get a 400 block (if you want to stay with a low block for some reason) or just go 440. I'm partial to the 383 as it has served me well over the years!

Well if you really wanted to get weird....how bout stroking a standard bore 383 (makes 426") then get some of the Stage VI Hemi conversion heads........

see where I'm going with this?????????????

The 400 is the best set up i have a 400 4150 MP crank alum rods flat top pistons 440-1 indy heads UN ported in a 3200 pound 65 plymouth so far ran 9.82 @ 136 mph with mufflers & timing @ 32 degrees & foot braking car

My buddy has a 440 with similair set up runs 10.00 440 strokers dont make as much power as the 400 combo

thanks fellas
i ended up starting with a 400 block i got for free and am going to stroke it to 500 edel heads and a comp roller

You may want to step up from the Edel. heads. There preety OK for what they are, but @ 500 cubes, not for nothin, I'd look again at what Moparkid1965 has set up. The Indy heads cost alittle more BUT have a much higher performance ceiling stock or ported vs Edelbrocks.

maybe later i think my accountant would frown on the indy heads now. still a 3600# car waitin on someone to start makin fiverglass 70 charger parts. right now it should be in the hogh 11's all motor. i havent had a chance to hit the 150shot i got init

hey moparkid what cam are you runnin in that 65?

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back