• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 ?

hdwrench

Local time
1:57 PM
Reaction score
working on my 69 383 hp , there is a menagerie of bolts in the intake to head and valve cover ! can anybody help me with the proper lengths on these two ? i’m thinking 1/4-20-1/2” for valve cover ( steel chrome ) but don’t want to guess on the intake……( factory cast iron ) ….

Not totally sure what your question means (...bolts in the intake to head and valve cover...), but It is not too difficult. Valley pan and valve covers are 1/4"-20, intake bolts are 3/8"-16, thermostat are usually 3/8"-16, carb can be 5/16"-18. The best way, and the way I do it, is when someone give me a "Box-O-Bolts", I lay them all out to match them up by size and length. Then I match the number of bolts required and see what pile matches. You will usually end up with an odd one or two, but as they always say 'any parts left over obviously weren't needed in the first place'...

Not totally sure what your question means (...bolts in the intake to head and valve cover...), but It is not too difficult. Valley pan and valve covers are 1/4"-20, intake bolts are 3/8"-16, thermostat are usually 3/8"-16, carb can be 5/16"-18. The best way, and the way I do it, is when someone give me a "Box-O-Bolts", I lay them all out to match them up by size and length. Then I match the number of bolts required and see what pile matches. You will usually end up with an odd one or two, but as they always say 'any parts left over obviously weren't needed in the first place'...
intake to head AND valve covers , lengths were the priority….i know 1/4 -20 in valve covers and 3/8 -16 intake bolts , correct lengths was the question. i am working on an engine i acquired for my car , it was assembled ( although poorly) i have no bucket to pick from . as i’m replacing a 318 i best not look there …..

Last edited:
He's looking for the length of the bolts.
The doofus that put my 383 together did basically the same thing---------so I'm watchin' :popcorn2:

On most, valve covers are 1/4-20 x 1/2 with factory covers, and 1/4-20x 3/4 with cast aluminum covers. Make sure the holes aren’t full of RTV. Intakes are 3/8-16 x probably 1 1/4- 1 1/2. Use t-tape, or pipe dope to prevent oil wicking. This can vary depending on washers, hold downs, etc.

Here's a factory intake bolt from a 1973 400 with a 2 barrel cast iron intake.

20240405_111429.jpg

I understand you were looking for lengths, but if there are 12 1/4"-20 of one length, and 6 of another length, then you have identified the bolts. If you need exact lengths and pic, go to AMK bolts and look up a kit, then look at the pic and bolt thread and length info for an exact pic and length. I guess I have done so many, I can ID most all of the bolts in a pile... Just trying to help.

Chrysler Master Fastener Kits for Restorations - AMK

I understand you were looking for lengths, but if there are 12 1/4"-20 of one length, and 6 of another length, then you have identified the bolts. If you need exact lengths and pic, go to AMK bolts and look up a kit, then look at the pic and bolt thread and length info for an exact pic and length. I guess I have done so many, I can ID most all of the bolts in a pile... Just trying to help.

the bolts i removed were **** , plain hex no washers so sorting them was not an option ! replacing them is ….at all , the intake bolts various length none oem , half of them were not
even with grade marks , no washers at all , junk ….

thank you 69bee , i got on amk products and was able to see all the bolt pics . i decided to order the engine master kit , 147 pieces at $225 . my whole engine came basically stripped of accessories so most the fasteners are gone . nice website to work with . they also sell specific kits for all the parts bolting to the engine block , which is specific to 68-69 383 or whatever engine you choose . Chrysler Master Fastener Kits for Restorations - AMK

thanks 69bee , i got on amk a decided to get the master engine kit ! interesting my 383hp engine is out of a 69bee!

the bolts i removed were **** , plain hex no washers so sorting them was not an option ! replacing them is ….at all , the intake bolts various length none oem , half of them were not
even with grade marks , no washers at all , junk ….
That's correct ,they didn't use washers.

Auto Transport Service
Back