• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383hp comes out of storage

383 & torque monster. Those aren’t words I’d put together in the same sentence
425 lb/ft in the road runner wasn't that bad, not too far away from the bigger engines. Properly outfitted, like in the 1960 dual quad Dodge Dart D-500, it would give you 460 lb/ft. It was a tire fryer.

I’d check or just replace the chain. Would be excellent to know what you have is degreed in to rule out issues later on. Be a great time to do the main seals. Really just reseal the whole thing.

I did a stock HP long block like that, added headers and intake and other bolt on niceties like the 31580 milodon pan, aluminum water pump and that thing kicked *** in a 69 rr.

A valve job on heads is never a bad decision. That will tell alot on overall health of engine.

We all could use a valve job. Lol.

425 lb/ft in the road runner wasn't that bad, not too far away from the bigger engines. Properly outfitted, like in the 1960 dual quad Dodge Dart D-500, it would give you 460 lb/ft. It was a tire fryer.
i think id be happy if my 383 would pull in the 425 range . my plan is to build an honest street cruzer, no plans today on drag racing this one . my last car years ago was a early 340 that ran decent . i’ve owned mopar bb cars but in the land yachts , never in a hot rod . i’m pretty sure i will enjoy the 383 . it’s a good start !i think the 383 hp were rated at 335-345 or so ?

Last edited:
The 383 is a good motor. That does not make it a torque monster.

To the OP, you should pull the motor down and inspect everything. At least pull the heads and measure the CD. There aren’t many good piston options and knowing what you have and how to make the most of it will center around the pistons.
The 383 is a good motor. That does not make it a torque monster.

To the OP, you should pull the motor down and inspect everything. At least pull the heads and measure the CD. There aren’t many good piston options and knowing what you have and how to make the most of it will center around the pistons.
cubic displacement = CD ?

Compression distance

And to be clear, what you should or need to do before you put the motor in your car is, as someone else said, a function of how much you trust your buddy, along with your goal and budget. We really cannot answer that.

The only reason I said check the CD (and see what the cam is as you stated) is once it’s in the car and you come back here asking for advice to improve performance, those two pieces of information will really help explain why it runs the way it does, and help us make good suggestions on what to do next.

And to be clear, what you should or need to do before you put the motor in your car is, as someone else said, a function of how much you trust your buddy, along with your goal and budget. We really cannot answer that.

The only reason I said check the CD (and see what the cam is as you stated) is once it’s in the car and you come back here asking for advice to improve performance, those two pieces of information will really help explain why it runs the way it does, and help us make good suggestions on what to do next.
he acquired the 383 from his brother by replacing it with a 440 , the 383 came in his brothers just purchased vehicle. they didn’t build it so there not sure what’s inside. he said it was a great runner but that’s all he can sure be of . i’m ok with that but like you mentioned i’d like to be able to answer later on what cam it is , what condition of heads etc etc . in case later we have to diagnosis or bump it up some …and like was mentioned what is condition of timing chain , degree of cam , ya all good ideas . i got a complete engine gasket set coming and definitely need to re seal it up . while doin that give it a good inspection or straighten out something that don’t look right…

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back