• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4.7 Question

69 Runner

ADMIN wif a corner office (Deceased - RIP)
Local time
11:27 PM
Reaction score
Ok folks. I've got a late '02 1500 with a 4.7 in it and it has no dipstick to check the oil. I've seen dipsticks on other 4.7s and it was (I think) behind the oil filler on the passenger's front corner of the motor. But I don't even see a tube for a stick to go in.

WTF???

Runner I have a 2002 1500 also. My oil dipstick is on top and i believe bolts at the back and runs flat over the top of the motor with a yellow handle. I will go look and post a pic

heres the pics. the dipstick is just below the air breather tube in the first pic and second pic is it coming up from the back of the motor just to the left of the accellerator cable

222 126 (Medium).jpg

222 127 (Medium).jpg

Yep, my 02 Durango is in the back by the auto trans dip stick.

Seems to me that some late model BMW's have no dip stick (unless you count the one behind the wheel :rolling:) but never heard that about the 4.7.

Since we are on the subject of 4.7's why hasn't there been more of these engines ending up in the older MoPars? Over shadowed by the 3G HEMI?? I just think it's a fantastic little engine with the SOHC setup. Kind of reminds me of the 427 cammer.

i always said it would be a great motor for a early valiant

Thanks much guys. Mine is much farther back, and was actually BEHIND the intake tube. Hard to pull out, harder to put back.

Guess if I had gotten a cold air intake back when I had cash I woulda found it:HappyNewYear:

easy to find when you know where to look tho. hope the pics helped. my dipstick must be 3 feet long

Yup. Helped locate it. Sure nuff was hidden well and not nearly as far forward as I thought. I was a bit afraid it was low on oil.....since it's been about 5K since the last change (including a trip to Georgia) and it has a bit over 150K on it. Very soon I'll be taking the Sedan part way to it's new owner, and I wanted to make sure it was OK.

now if only Publisher's Clearing House would show up at my door, or someone take "Agent J" home with them I could get back to work.

thanks again:grin:

Speaking of long dip sticks (get your minds out of the gutter :tongueflap: ) remember the motor homes?

Auto Transport Service
Back