• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4 barrel vs 6 pack

salteen_dude

Local time
2:47 PM
Reaction score
What are the benefits of a 6 pack over a 4 barrel? I found a 6 pack setup complete for $800. But I already have a 850 tquad and can buy an intake for a couple hundred. Besides the obvious cost advantage to the 4 bbl, what's the advantages of a 6 pack? Are the 3 smaller carbs bigger then the 1 big 4 barrel? And what's the technology / idea behind the 6 pack?

If you found a complete six pack set up for 800 bucks you had better grab it.

If you found a complete six pack set up for 800 bucks you had better grab it.

71RRHI whats to disagree on. If a guy can find a complete six pack set up for 800 bucks he is a fool not to buy it.​

Last edited:
What I was going to say was, buy it for $800 and I'll give you $1600. I had to put my phone down, and must have hit the button by accident. So chill out @pnora. No need to start name calling. I'm sorry for offending you

Last edited:
For a street car the six pack runs mostly on the 350CFM middle carb giving nice throttle response and good fuel economy. All 3 carbs come in at 940CFM when measured the same way as 4 bbls are. I'd jump on it for $800 in a minute, they sound great when they open up, give a nice even pull and you can't beat the looks. Just really look the carbs over as they're old and may have had Ricky Racer "tricking" them out.

I mean no offense, but a posting like that on the first day that somebody is a member is suspicious.
Scammers fish for private messages with postings like that.

For a street car the six pack runs mostly on the 350CFM middle carb giving nice throttle response and good fuel economy. All 3 carbs come in at 940CFM when measured the same way as 4 bbls are. I'd jump on it for $800 in a minute, they sound great when they open up, give a nice even pull and you can't beat the looks. Just really look the carbs over as they're old and may have had Ricky Racer "tricking" them out.
They do look good when you open the hood

I mean no offense, but a posting like that on the first day that somebody is a member is suspicious.
Scammers fish for private messages with postings like that.
I am not a scammer I assure you lol. I'm not trying to buy anything, just asking for an opinion. I'm not selling the 6 pack system. It's a freind of a freind who has some old Mopar parts that I want to buy.

90 cfm over the thermoquad I see lol. I'm going to look them over good. They are supposed to be straight off a barn find 440 car, and the carbs are supposedly rebuilt. We will see. He's 2 hours away. He also has some seats and misc interior parts I need.

This probably isn't the best place to assess values of Mopar parts. We all have opinions, and we all have one of those other things. The real world is eBay and the Sold Items section, no opinions, just fact. That's what it was worth in that condition on that day.

This probably isn't the best place to assess values of Mopar parts. We all have opinions, and we all have one of those other things. The real world is eBay and the Sold Items section, no opinions, just fact. That's what it was worth in that condition on that day.

I have millions worth of parts if i could get what some people ask for on ebay. Not really but you get the point.

IF that setup is real, at that price, you can not go wrong buying it, if it is as you describe it, it's worth twice that asking price, at least.
As for the benefit of a Sixpack? Practically speaking, compared to something like a rpm intake, and a 750 holley, it's probably a wash, and the single four is easier to tune. What IS amazing is that a 50 year old induction is competitive with current state of the art street 440 intakes.
But you can't beat the eyewash effect.
(This response coming from a 440 6bbl owner)

Reading on one of the o.p.'s other threads.... supposedly the Sixpack setup comes with aircleaner and filter. That alone could be worth 800 dollars. Certainly 500. ( a real 69 440 Sixpack aircleaner pan and lid is worth well over $1000.)

About 1971 John Petrie came across Canada sponsored by Chrysler giving clinics about MOPARS.
He was asked if a 6 pack would be good at the drag strip. He could not see any advantage and didn’t use one.
His point. Trivia.

Crazy what all of this stuff goes for these days. I don't have even $500.00 into my whole six pack set up. Of course that was years ago and has been on the car since and still performs flawlessly.

Crazy what all of this stuff goes for these days. I don't have even $500.00 into my whole six pack set up. Of course that was years ago and has been on the car since and still performs flawlessly.
I bought one complete fresh off the car with fuel lines, vacuum lines, etc for 75 bucks at thr 1981 Car Craft street machine nationals. I was walkimg back to my car as he was unloading it, and I asked if it was for sale. Brought it home and put it on my V code plum crazy challenger.

A sixpack and a TQ is based around the same system of having small primaries and then a huge flow on the secondary's, awesome stuff for the street.
The sixpack is harder to tune, the TQ harder to service.

holley made a spread bore 800 cfm double pumper which would be better than a thermo quad because tuning parts are far easier to get and it wold have more tuning options also i.m.o. . somewhat rare i think, but you could find one with some effort and patience. another possibility is the old holly 950 3 barrel. still see one for sale on occasion.they are rare.
good luck.

TQ is a great carb when they're in good shape and tuned correctly. These days you have much better luck getting a Six Pack dialed in plus you can find the small tuning pieces you need for the Holleys.

Auto Transport Service
Back