• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4 Door to 2 Door Conversion Questions

GTX JOHN

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:06 AM
Reaction score
I am looking at a 64 Savoy Max Wedge Clone car to purchase.

The owner states that the conversion (4 to 2) is unable to be detected other than

the fender tag! It appears in the pics that the door is shorter and the

wheelbase is a couple of inches shorter as well.

I know these used to be a popular conversion some time ago.

Can anybody give me any input on if I should purchase it?

Most guys take the doors and the rear post for the door out of a 2 door sedan and put it in the 4 door body. The roof and rear glass is the same. If they do quality work it should be a good car.

I would have him measure the length of the door, the length of the quarter panel, and the wheelbase. Then someone who owns a real one can measure their car. Then compare, you will find out quickly if it is shorter or not.

A 64 Plymouth car should have a 116” wheelbase

I have no idea how you could be accurately advised without price and photos, other than it should be a bargain compared to an actual 2-door clone. If the dimensions are incorrect, it should be a steal compared to one.

There was a post on here some years ago of a member that did exactly this

look up on this site my 63 2door conversion altered . poly1963
Its a lot of work Hope this helps . His is an AFX style . John

I've seen people do 4 door conversion buy modifying & welding the rear doors in place instead of swapping parts from a sedan car & they will sometimes look a little weird or off which I'm guessing this is maybe what was done here??

The car does not have the doors weld up = The car was sectioned and shortened.

It is on For Sale on this Forum under For Sale $24,000 64 Savoy and I am having a hard time making up my mind = If not a conversion - I would have already bought it. I just need some feedback on what people think?

Last edited:
The car does not have the doors weld up = The car was sectioned and shortened.

It is on For Sale on this Forum under For Sale $24,000 64 Savoy and I am having a hard time making up my mind = If not a conversion - I would have already bought it. I just need some feedback on what people think?

Do you have a link to this car.
I searched for it and no results
Ed

Do you have a link to this car.
I searched for it and no results
Ed
I do not know how to do links but I just checked under cars for sale 64 Savoy 440 4 speed
and it is on 1st page. Seller does not mention that it was converted.

1.jpeg
12.jpg
13.jpg
Should not have to shorten it. 2dr sedan and 4dr sedan are the same length and wheelbase.
Agree, when mine was done I used the front doors from a 2 door since they are longer. I have a Savoy and was able to find those doors. However, I could not find the rear side window and quarter section from a Savoy so used a '62 Dart and the rear door skins from the 4 door car. No need to shorten the wheelbase.

2 (2).jpg 3.jpg 41.jpg 16.jpg 43.jpg 44.jpg 45.jpg

Last edited:
I do not know how to do links but I just checked under cars for sale 64 Savoy 440 4 speed
and it is on 1st page. Seller does not mention that it was converted.

If he did not mention it how do you know it's a conversion?

I am looking at a 64 Savoy Max Wedge Clone car to purchase.

The owner states that the conversion (4 to 2) is unable to be detected other than

the fender tag! It appears in the pics that the door is shorter and the

wheelbase is a couple of inches shorter as well.

I know these used to be a popular conversion some time ago.

Can anybody give me any input on if I should purchase it?

This is a great deal if you can get out to Wisconsin:
1965 Dodge Coronet 2 Door Post | Cars On Line.com | Classic Cars For Sale (cars-on-line.com)

Didn't think of it at the time but no max wedge in 65

Last edited:
I have done two myself the four door cars are not all beat to crap like the two door cars it seems old people bought them! I find myself searching For them more so than any other model.
A92299D1-F831-4D67-A3F5-C29C4D099105.jpeg
99527E91-01B3-47A7-9C92-25236AAF2A18.jpeg
24BC85AF-A8AA-41E3-A650-52B2B28865B1.jpeg
FF45A979-EE89-4065-A5DF-444091013720.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back