• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

#4 Intake I found the leak

Yeah but it took 5 months of sitting to leak enough to find the leak LOL.

Yeah but it took 5 months of sitting to leak enough to find the leak LOL.
---
True. Like I said, just make sure if those hogged out castings are headed to the garbage bin, that it's MY garbage bin. :)

The blue bottle would solve that problem.
Yes it would. I am guessing that cam in the 440 would go 720-740. A baby shot would put me in line with what the 511 did on motor.
Some things you don’t know until you try. Maybe the roller would be a surprise?
Damn race cars LOL.

Yes it would. I am guessing that cam in the 440 would go 720-740. A baby shot would put me in line with what the 511 did on motor.
Some things you don’t know until you try. Maybe the roller would be a surprise?
Damn race cars LOL.
---
Why not the roller along with your 8" converter, mind you the solid with the 8 has already been into the 9's in the past. I can't see that big of a problem from my viewpoint Wooks buddy.

I’m going to message Lenny and see what he thinks? He would know whether it would be a good fit.

I was blowing through an 8 inch and didn't know it 'till I tried a 9.5 and balooned it in 4 passes!:screwy:

I was blowing through an 8 inch and didn't know it 'till I tried a 9.5 and balooned it in 4 passes!:screwy:

Crazy. What converter ended up working for you Hemi?

When they sound like a snowmobile all the way down the track it’s telling you it needs more converter :D

The 1st one I tried was a $1200 converter with a 4500 stall.When I went to the track,it couldn't make the 1/4,,,,,,,ran out of breath and my tach was up to 7800 before I let off well before the stripe.Went back to the maker and they made me a 3000 stall.It didn't make it either:cursin:
Turned out to be the diverter valve that puts the fluid to the trans,I felt like such a :jackoff:. Had my trans guy go through the unit whan I put the 2nd vert in.
So now the converter is on the tight side.Would it pick up with a loose 'vert,,,,YES.
BUt when I contacted the again and told them it was going over the stripe at 64-6500 and wanted to know if it were loosened up 5 or 800 rpm,,what would it be at the stripe,they could NOT tell me.SO,i'm staying with what I have and can attain my legal limit with what I have the street manors are better 60 ft does not mean that much when the ET can be achieved.
The 60 is picking up on its own as the boost level goes up.So far I went all the way up to..............6 lbs of boost:rofl:

I can attest that converter can make a big difference. My 8” would MPH at 124 initially. Switched to JD hydraulic fluid it jumped to 127. When I put the 9.5” in it jumped to just over 130. ET dropped with each of these changes as well.
If I put the 440 in with the roller I’m not sure if I’m better to stay with my 9.5” or go back to my 8”?

Well cylinder walls in the 440 look great compared to the 511. The solid cam is on its way out. It would probably make the season but why chance it. 1/2 the lifters already have a good shine to them. So that solves it. The roller goes in the 440.
An inquiry to Jesel tells me that their lifter will work fine in a cast block or a bronze bushing. Looking at the solid EDM lifter and comparing to the Jesel roller puts the Oil band in the same place. I have yet to slide the roller cam in the 440 but a quick test shows the Jesel Oil band to be below the top of the lifter hole. The roller does have .040 more lobe lift so will have to check once it is in the block.
Aside from that everything looks good. I will get the springs moved over to other heads and clean things up.
Also have found a local guy who should be able to fix that head. From people I’ve chatted with it sounds like he can do some amazing things. Actually spoke with a guy Saturday who had a head repaired by him and is still using it. So it sounds promising.

813089C1-3776-4C65-8407-5CC7081E12A8.jpeg

See there, you are doing the very same thing I would have done if I had the "lifter in my hand". Call Jesel and test it in an engine. Good job.

It looks like it will be fine, but until I get the roller in the block I won’t know for sure. How much lower should the Oil band be in the bore at max lobe lift to be considered ok to use?

Wow, ya know, I've never tested that. I have an engine on the stand that I may be able to test it today.

Anyone have a measurement of the roller on a Comp 829?
A Jesel is .825. I’ve been told a Comp is .750 but looking for confirmation on that size.
The Oil band on the Jesel does not look like it will be an issue at max love lift when I pull the oil gallery plug and shine a light in.
At max lift the groove is about 2/3rds in the top of the bore, but there has to be between a 1/4-1/8” of lifter body before the Oil groove would be at the top.
BUT...... at max lift at the bottom of the hole, the lifter body is VERY close to uncovering where the roller is.
So that is why I am curious what the roller size is on a comp 829?
Smaller roller means the lifter body sits lower in the bore does it not?
IQ am I on track here or out to lunch?

I belive my Isky are the same wheel diameter as my Comps were, .810" . Not sure what the base circle of your cam is. Mine is a .470" lobe Comp. The back side of my cam is .720" below the bottom of the block. Here's a drawing I made. Disregard the measurement for the oil feed hole as this was an Isky lifter.
Doug
20160624_083436.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back