• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4 speed bearing retainer question.

71Beeper

Local time
1:09 PM
Reaction score
I have this 4 speed bearing retainer.
Sept 21st (1).jpg

Unfortunately, the bell housing I have will not work with said bearing retainer.
Sept 21st (18).jpg
Sept 21st (19).jpg

Besides getting the proper retainer, is there anything that I can do with this existing one to make it fit?

Have a machine shop properly machine it to fit. That might cost more than finding the right one.

You would probably be better off to get the correct one from brewer’s and sell the one you have.

I could machine it pretty cheap but the shipping to and from Texas would probably make that expensive.....

I have machined the retainer down to fit. That is easier than opening up the bellhousing. Mostly depends on how you need to remove. I have taken one down almost to the bolt holes having to go from the largest retainer diameter to the smallest bellhousing hole.

And isn't there 2 different bolt patterns to be aware of??

There is a 4.16 and 3.70 bolt circle the 307 bearing using the 3.70 circle and the 308 is 4.16.

The bolt pattern on this one is 3.7"
My brother is a machinist so I'll have him machine the OD of the retainer down.
The cost of retainers and bell housings are getting stupid expensive.
I'm pretty sure what I have is a big block bearing retainer, but I need it to fit the small block bell housing opening.

The bolt pattern on this one is 3.7"
My brother is a machinist so I'll have him machine the OD of the retainer down.
The cost of retainers and bell housings are getting stupid expensive.
I'm pretty sure what I have is a big block bearing retainer, but I need it to fit the small block bell housing opening.
Stress to him that you want no run out when he machines it. Also, if he plans on chucking on the small end, he probably should put a hard plug into it before chucking on it. :)

I have this 4 speed bearing retainer.
View attachment 1346327
Unfortunately, the bell housing I have will not work with said bearing retainer.
View attachment 1346328View attachment 1346329

Besides getting the proper retainer, is there anything that I can do with this existing one to make it fit?
IMO....You could turn the O.D. of the retainer to fit the I.D. of the bell housing or machine the bell housing to fit your retainer, but which bearing to use? There are two ball bearing used. If you make the retainer fit the housing, then you'll have an odd ball setup, small bearing in a big retainer. As suggested by others, BUY THE CORRECT BEARING RETAINER TO FIT YOUR BELL HOUSING and sell your existing retainer. Just talking out loud.
BOB RENTON

Its never easy with Chrysler 4 speed, mix and match. You have clutch and flywheel diameter, bearing retainer size, spline, bell housing hole size, shifter location, tail housing length, yoke type, dont forget z-bar length. Shifters can be a factor as well... ask me how I know... I have a matched set now that works.

Bob, I'm a little confused by you saying there is 2 ball bearings used?
Do you mean 2 different throw-out bearings?

Here's the proper smaller od retainer that Brewers sell.
1663789218994.png

Look how close the mounting holes are to the outside dia of the retainer.

Now look at mine.
Sept 21st (1).jpg

Look at how much there is from the mounting holes to the outside dia. on mine.

View attachment 1346381

Now look at mine.
View attachment 1346382
Bob means there were two input shaft bearing sizes used as in a 307 and 308 bearing and yes there were two different size throwout bearing collars the 18 spline retainer throwout snout was a bigger OD for the throwout bearing collar.
As long as you have the correct bolt circle on the retainer it can be cut down like you plan.

View attachment 1346381

Now look at mine.
View attachment 1346382
There are two (2) different ball bearings used. Each retainer used a different bearing. I can't recall the bearing number off hand, but the bearings have different OD, number of balls, but I recall they have the the same ID. I can't remember if the 23 spline shaft transmission used the smaller of the 2 bearings and the 18 spline shaft transmission used the large bearing. The throw out or release bearing matches the pressure plate used, assuming its the Borg & Beck setup and not the diaphragm pressure plate or hydraulic throw out bearing assy. Perhaps someone can research the input shaft bearing number, but its a single row ball bearing open on both sides with or without snap ring groove.....I just can't remember......having a senior moment...brain freeze....
BOB RENTON

a) I wouldn't machine the retainer, you'll lose the outer lip which adds strength. If you bolt it on after machining it will likely crack at one or more of the bolt flanges. b) don't even think about ruining a bell !! c) the retainers from Brewers are billet steel - not cast like the originals. They're well worth the price.

This is the retainer you have: 1968-69 B-body 23 spline transmissions with 307 front bearing, 4.805" outside diameter, 3.70" bolt circle.

Does the retainer fit the front of your transmission?

The smaller diameter retainer are available. You need a 4.354" outside diameter, 3.70" bolt circle. I agree cutting that down to the 4.354 is risky.

gkent - Now that I look at the retainer some more, you are correct, that would be quite a bit to remove.

Thanks Dragon Slayer for the confirmation that the retainer is for an earlier B-body.

I'll call around to a few Mopar buddies to see if any one has the retainer I need and is willing to trade for the one I have.

So I did order the proper bearing retainer from a local Mopar distributor.
Oct 4th (1).jpg

But look where it originated from.....:lol:
Oct 4th (2).jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back