• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4 Speed Carpet Cut Marks

440 4 speed

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:24 PM
Reaction score
The car had body work and was painted about 1984. Someone made carpets for it. I talked to the fellow that had the work done. He sold the car in the early 90’s. I saw it at a car show here about 1998. I told Donna to let me know when she wanted to sell it
She called me in 2004 and to come and get it. We flew to Calgary and drove it home. Shortly after I was able to contact the original owner Idaho. The car is painted back to original GG1.
I am ready to install the carpets.
I would appreciate some pictures of the cut marks in the carpet.
Thanks

Just lay the carpet in place and it will be easy to see where the holes need to be made and what needs to be trimmed off the sides.

I always use the gas pedal location - forward inner corner of the heel pad, just inside its perimeter - as primary locator. 4-speed hump secondary, and hopefully the carpet is correctly formed. Lay the carpet in the car first and let it sit for a day or two, works best when warm. I use the ft seatbelt anchor locations to keep the carpet in its correct location BEFORE cutting.
Take your time, double-check as you go. Photos of original cars in the firewall/column/heater areas are very handy if this is your 1st time. No dimmer switch grommet.

I always use the gas pedal location - forward inner corner of the heel pad, just inside its perimeter - as primary locator. 4-speed hump secondary, and hopefully the carpet is correctly formed. Lay the carpet in the car first and let it sit for a day or two, works best when warm. I use the ft seatbelt anchor locations to keep the carpet in its correct location BEFORE cutting.
Take your time, double-check as you go. Photos of original cars in the firewall/column/heater areas are very handy if this is your 1st time. No dimmer switch grommet.
Did this install with one son’s auto in 1991, our auto in 93, and the other son’s 4 spd in 2017. We winged it with that one. It’s tucked in tight storage out of the City. It seemed that the early carpets had some identification of were to cut. The carpets have been lying on the floor for a couple of months. I steamed them. I know the heel pad isn’t in the correct spot, but agonizing over that.
Thank you everyone.

The car had body work and was painted about 1984. Someone made carpets for it. I talked to the fellow that had the work done. He sold the car in the early 90’s. I saw it at a car show here about 1998. I told Donna to let me know when she wanted to sell it
She called me in 2004 and to come and get it. We flew to Calgary and drove it home. Shortly after I was able to contact the original owner Idaho. The car is painted back to original GG1.
I am ready to install the carpets.
I would appreciate some pictures of the cut marks in the carpet.
Thanks
@charlescook

If it's a stick I unbolt the shifter stick and move the carpet around so it conforms to the shifter hole the best. Then trim/slice from there. A soldering iron is the best for making the holes for the seat belt bolts.

If it's a stick I unbolt the shifter stick and move the carpet around so it conforms to the shifter hole the best. Then trim/slice from there. A soldering iron is the best for making the holes for the seat belt bolts.
Thank you. I am mainly looking for the cuts on the firewall.

Auto Transport Service
Back