• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone have an original 66/67 metallic red interior - carpet color question.

AR67GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:41 AM
Reaction score
I have new interior (in boxes) for my 67 GTX with the metallic red interior. I need to order carpet so I requested some samples from Legendary. I settled on two possible colors - a medium red (#21) and maroon (#31). None of my interior is original and I get the feeling the prior owner didn’t want a mono-tone interior so he put in maroon carpet and painted the upper sills and lower door surfaces more of a maroon color. I’m going to repaint the metal surfaces.

I‘m thinking the medium red is easily the best match to the new Legendary covers but the maroon does match my existing carpet and I don’t think it was unusual for some manufacturers to go slightly darker on carpets in some colors. Just wondering if anyone has a survivor in one of these with the metallic red interior and has had a chance to see a section of original carpet color under a seat or under a door sill and knows what Plymouth originally installed. The colors do shift a bit depending on the light And angle. I would like to stay close to the originals.

IMG_1850.jpeg
IMG_1851.jpeg

Your seats look like same color as my 66.

I just talked to previous owner. Said He got several red samples back then and the best he remembers it was just marked RED

The car was missing ALL its original carpet when he got the car back late 90s so its 100% a guess on his part

Mine is Definity one of the 2 on the left.
Most certainly not the maroon

n0-radio.jpg

Bill, does you red carpet in your car appear pretty similar to #21? I’m still leaning towards the medium red - just probably have to also get new mats as my old maroon ones won’t match.

I have a large piece of original carpet with heel pad from a 66 Satellite. Tomorrow I can get a photo and put it next to my GTX interior.

I'll will pull my car out in the sun tomorrow and ck how these compare

I don’t have a picture that shows my current carpet with sunlight on this iPad. I’ll have to if I have an older photo.

Edit: Guess I need to take more pictures of my car in sunlight as I don’t have any showing the carpet in sunlight. This is it in the shade - of course it looks lighter in bright light as does the vinyl.

thumbnail (5).jpeg

Last edited:
My floor mat in sunlight.
And up against the door panel.
It does appear to be the darker maybe.

So if I had to guess. I'm leaning towards #21

20231230_103244.jpg

20231230_103208.jpg

Some photos in sunlight - new vinyl at top looks a little more metallic.
IMG_1864.jpeg
IMG_1863.jpeg
IMG_1862.jpeg

Last edited:
I don’t know Bill - I think your carpet may be not to far off from mine. But the sunlight can play tricks on colors. Hopefully R413 will be able to post a photo of original carpet.

IMG_1153.jpeg
IMG_1863.jpeg

Last edited:
This is exactly why I havent ordered replacement floor mats.

I need to get off my butt and order some samples myself and see exactly what I have in mine.

Here is what I've got. Original carpet from a 66 and my 67 door. Using the cleanest part of the carpet that was unner the seat.

C9A170BF-734D-4962-9257-A7D727D2703B.jpeg

57BCE0A3-6245-457E-9417-F3F0B2C357F0.jpeg

FEB23687-6E30-48CD-890B-B63DB38FF0EE.jpeg

5DF37472-9B87-4D83-97EA-FA92038A0DC9.jpeg

3E2ECA1E-D1F4-458F-934C-21A5B507A205.jpeg

Here is what I've got. Original carpet from a 66 and my 67 door. Using the cleanest part of the carpet that was unner the seat.

View attachment 1582245

View attachment 1582246

View attachment 1582247

View attachment 1582248

View attachment 1582249
You and Dan need to coordinate get these samples together and figure out exactly which one is correct.

Previous owner of my car plans to look back thru receipts try to figure what color mine is / was when he ordered it back early 2000s

Kind of tough to be certain but still thinking medium red is closest. I think the maroon is just a shade to dark although in direct sunlight it doesn’t look as dark.

Thanks R413 - those are good pictures.

Bill, if he finds anything on your car please let me know.

Kind of tough to be certain but still thinking medium red is closest. I think the maroon is just a shade to dark although in direct sunlight it doesn’t look as dark.

Thanks R413 - those are good pictures.

Bill, if he finds anything on your car please let me know.
Will do.

To bring a conclusion to this thread I got my carpet in from ACC and Legendary last week and this is what Legendary said was correct per their records. Not much change from what I have but I think it’s fine with the new upholstery. In the first photo laid the console side carpet over the floor mat from my car which appears to match the old carpet.
IMG_1214.jpeg
IMG_1215.jpeg
IMG_1216.jpeg

Looks fine to me. It may still trend a bit darker than the original examples from R413 above. It won’t get darker with age so I’m not going to worry about it. I’ve noticed on this car and also my 66 that the reproduction loop pile carpet coming out of ACC these days is a little larger (deeper?) loop than what was sold years ago. My memory is not good enough to know which was more representative of original carpet.

there was a light and dark red met interiors in the 65 cars . my 65 880 rag has both tones of red met used in it . not sure what there was carpet wise , other than met red .

Auto Transport Service
Back