• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4 speed conversion- console/no console/buddy seat? Opinions?

NJRR

Local time
7:53 AM
Reaction score
I have pretty much sourced all my parts for my conversion. Still need the bell housing and clutch. I am contemplating not using my current auto console, which I would have to cut up to convert to the 4 speed if I don't find a 4 speed top plate. Any opinions welcomed on whether to keep the console, no console, or no console with buddy seat. What is more common/correct on 70 RR's ??? I have both shifter handles so would sell off the one I didn't use. Another factor is I could sell off the auto console with shifter and help offset the cost of my conversion. Thanks for the advice gents.

I got a 66 with stock console, and one without console & buddy seat....I like them both

DCP_2606.jpg

DCP_1540.jpg

The buckets, console and pistol grip shifter is an awesome setup. I would bet, however, that most Road Runners were equipped like mine: Bench Seat. Period!

At first when I got my 70 RR, I thought about converting it to a bucket seat car, but the bench seat has been really growing on me. I think it's great now and have no plans to get rid of it...

Bench seats are great too but his question was about what set up to run with buckets. If I go with a 4 or 5 speed in my R/T I'll do bucket / buddy cause that's what's in it. But the pistol grip coming out of a console in 70 is really cool. I may change my mind on the R/T if I every change it since I have the 68/9 console 4 speed shifter already but I don't mind the shifter coming out of the floor at all. My old 68 RR was a bench 4 speed and it was fun especially with the ladies next to me. Can't do that on a plastic console :)

This is my opinion and it is only an opinion. the pistol-grip with a console is nice for showing off, but without the console shows everybody you mean business. I like 'em either way, with a slight lean toward no console. But it's your car and put in what you feel comfortable with when you're driving it.

The all black interior is very, very sharp with the console. I have white buckets with a white interior and it's not as sleek looking even with the automatic as it is now. I'm leaning towards removing the console, not sure about the buddy seat. Here's what mine looks like.

2d8b_3.JPG3794_3.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

The guy who I bought the car from converted from bench to buckets, so that's not in play. Curious about what you said though, that most RR's came with bench seats. Anyone know any stats on that?

The buckets, console and pistol grip shifter is an awesome setup. I would bet, however, that most Road Runners were equipped like mine: Bench Seat. Period!

At first when I got my 70 RR, I thought about converting it to a bucket seat car, but the bench seat has been really growing on me. y I think it's great now and have no plans to get rid of it...

I always say build them the way you like, I myself like the bucket seats and console options but as Roger said they do look more in your face serious sometimes without the console, i just like the looks of them myself and NJRR that looks pretty sweet to me! I do like the 70 RR, they are one good looking ride, i had one back in the day but it was light blue inside and out with a bench seat and pistol grip, not really to in your face mean either but my wife's favorite car of the way back when days lol.. She learned how to do the 4-speed thing in it! Good luck with the conversion im sure you'll have a lot of fun in it..

So a couple of things: As Tallhair pointed out, I did miss the fact that the original post talked about console removal/buddy seat - not about the possibility of adding a bench seat. My bad... (Hope Tallhair doesn't censor my posts now... ...I'll have to do a better job of reading the posts! :iamwithstupid:)

As far as most Road Runners being equipped with a bench seat: Road Runners were a huge hit because Plymouth paired a powerful engine with a cheap, light car. The vast majority of Road Runners were powered by 383 engines. I am sure owners back then would have sprung for the bigger engine if they could afford it. To make the car go as fast as possible, owners wanted the car light, so they purposely did not order power steering, brakes, etc.

My car is a good example: 383, 4 speed, Hemi suspension, Air Grabber. All performance options for a guy on a budget who could not afford a 440+6 or Hemi. Everything else on the car is as light as possible: Manual steering, manual drum brakes, no radio, bench seat, standard interior.

I don't have stats on bench vs. bucket seats, so the above is what I would call educated speculation.

Opposing thoughts welcomed...

Your car is indeed an awesome example and well optioned car Hawk and if I had an original bench seat car I'd keep it that way as I found my 68 comfortable and I liked it a lot.. I also liked the 70 lime green six barrel bench seat 6 BBL car and wish to hell I still had it. Live and learn.

I was just answering a question as best I could.

68's were pretty spartan but by 70 there were plenty of bucket seat cars and Plymouth had and was pushing a bunch of super cool options and many have them. Just throwing that out there

The all black interior is very, very sharp with the console. I have white buckets with a white interior and it's not as sleek looking even with the automatic as it is now. I'm leaning towards removing the console, not sure about the buddy seat. Here's what mine looks like.

View attachment 163226

why does this bucket seat car have the third set of seat belts in the front?

Hawk- great pick up on the GTX set-up. I actually read that post but didn't put 2+2 together when I did. It does look pretty damned sharp !!!!

Hey, check out the GTX with white buckets seats, 4 Speed and console so you can see how you like it...

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?65525-My-friends-70-440-6-GTX-this-morning

- - - Updated - - -

Wing- the extra belt is for the shoulder belt.

Just found this listed on ebay. FC7 RR with white buckets and no console. I like it a lot, looks much less cluttered than with the console. I think I made my decision. :headbang:

$_4-1.JPG$_4.JPG

Just found this listed on ebay. FC7 RR with white buckets and no console. I like it a lot, looks much less cluttered than with the console. I think I made my decision. :headbang:

View attachment 163706View attachment 163707

Very sweet. I used to be a die hard Black interior guy, but dark painted cars with white interiors are really growing on me. The Plum Crazy (in-Violet) with the white buckets is bitchin'!!!!

No console. They rattle, are mostly mis aligned and collect junk. Less is more, just like right side mirrors. Keep it clean.

Auto Transport Service
Back