• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4 speed shifter/linkage help!

70ACBEE

Local time
10:47 AM
Reaction score
Hi gang. Having some troubles with my shifter linkage in my 70 Bee. Hopefully you can help.

833-crossection.jpg

Parts:
I just replaced my shifter mechanism, shifter lever, and shift linkage with the following parts from Brewers Performance :

Shifter mechanism- SM-BOLT-70B COMPETITION PLUS SHIFTER MECHANISM 1970 B-BODY NEW
Linkage - LRS70B SHIFTER LINKAGE ROD SET 1970 B-BODY
Handle - PG610 PISTOL GRIP SHIFTER HANDLE 1970 B-BODY NON-CONSOLE

When I got all done hooking things up and adjusting the shifter linkage as per
Mopar Muscle Article I tested the gears with the car stationary. I could shift through all the gears except for second. Also it was a little sticky coming out of reverse to the neutral position.

I disconnected all of the rods and double checked that all of the detent levers on the transmission were in their middle position as per the image above.

With the rods disconnected, I started playing with the levers and found that if the 1-2 lever was in the middle position (should be neautral), I could NOT shift the 3-4 lever into either gear. However, if i moved the 1-2 lever all the way forward, which should be 2nd gear, I COULD move the 3-4 into either gear.

Why would the apparent second gear position seem to function as if were neutral? Ideas?

Trying to hit all the gears while the car isn't moving is virtually impossible because the synchros don't work like they should, plus it's kind of hard on parts. Put everything back together and drive the car then see how it does.

The reason you were able to hit gears in 3-4 after moving the 1-2 lever is you disturbed the gear train just enough to allow engagement. Engagement while not moving is pure luck.

Did you line up the levers in the shifter using a dowel, screwdriver, or something to verify them being in "neutral"? There is no "center" for the reverse lever btw

Yes, I used a centering pin in the shifter assembly when I was adjusting rod length.

I started from scratch last night - pulled all the linkage again and reinstalled checking each gear as the linkage was installed. Turns out Reverse linkage rod was in backwards. When I was pulling it back apart, I removed the reverse gear linkage first and it freed things up. Seems the threaded rod end was interfering with a bolt on the transmission cover. So the detent would "clunk" out of reverse but i guess there was still a little back pressure on the linkage which caused it to not want to go into second and made it sticky coming out of reverse.

Everything is square now and WOW what a difference. No more sloppy shifts.

Everything is centered with the pin on the shifter assembly, but it pops out of second if I, shift to second, let go of the shifter, then let the clutch out. Going to check my positive stops and back them off if necessary and maybe back the rod out for a little more throw on second.

Thanks for the input.

No prob. This 70 runner I'm working on is a 4 speed also, and even still has the column lock linkage with it. Gonna have to leave it disconnected though. The plastic bushings for the "Z bar" are there but worn to the point they won't retain it in it's proper axis. That makes it bind once in reverse, both not locking the column, and making it impossible to get out of reverse

No prob. This 70 runner I'm working on is a 4 speed also, and even still has the column lock linkage with it. Gonna have to leave it disconnected though. The plastic bushings for the "Z bar" are there but worn to the point they won't retain it in it's proper axis. That makes it bind once in reverse, both not locking the column, and making it impossible to get out of reverse

Where can I get a column lock linkage? Mine is missing on my 70 RR with 4 speed. Sorry to dig this old thread:glasses2:
here is what I have
vbpgimage.php

Auto Transport Service
Back