• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4 speed trouble

swampdonkey

Local time
4:23 PM
Reaction score
Got an early 70,s a883 4 speed in my 1965 satellite, I've got a new drive shaft being built with a new yoke and u joints.
Got some vibration trouble I'm trying to get rid of. Got the tires balanced, checked the axles good there decided to replace the tailshaft housing bushing also bought a Zamco extraction tool works excellent removing the bushing. The trouble comes when installing the new bushing.
Tried multiple new bushings and they all seem to go in hard and can not install the slip yoke back in way to tight now I'm screwed
What the heck now I have no bushing in it.
Can I take the tail housing off without removing the rest of the tranny?

the trans shaft may slide back and drop some parts out of alignment......but then again you may be just sneeky enough to pull it off

the trans shaft may slide back and drop some parts out of alignment......but then again you may be just sneeky enough to pull it off
I'm kinda thinking it needs to come off to inspect the bore must be something wrong cause the bushings get a bit distorted along the oil channel bushing gets bunched up a bit.

Did you have a bushing driver? With a new bushing clearance is only .002 or so. Picture of puller and driver I used.
transt.jpg

I couldn't imagine installing the busing with the tail housing on the trans ...as far as removing the tail housing while leaving the trans in the car, well I wondered he same thing my self other day

Wonder if end of bushing distorts when installed? Have you driven it a little to see if it loosens up?

I couldn't imagine installing the busing with the tail housing on the trans ...as far as removing the tail housing while leaving the trans in the car, well I wondered he same thing my self other day
I did it, saved a ton of grief.

The drive shaft had lots of side play very loose I thought. I've tried several bushings from other trannys they are all to tight after installation can't get the yoke in without lots of force. I'm thinking something needs machining or a new extension housing might be needed.

Silly question....but you don't suppose there's another old bushing up in there already, do you?

You cannot take the extension housing off in the car. It takes the output shaft with it and that has gears 1-3 and both synchros on it. All the way to the input shaft. Arnold Schwartenager might finagle it out but will never get it back in.

I’d call some trans shops, they will know the trick. But you need to find and old school guy there.

I spent some time at a machine shop one day and they has a can of lube they used on press fit parts.

No there isn’t a bushing still in there, You would never Be able to get two in there.

3A164D5B-EC49-4E36-AC7B-91282AD880A0.jpeg

What Is the standard procedure for installing one of these bushings. If I have to pull the trans again for the third time I will but it's getting old fast.

What does the old bushing look like Does it have the same indentations in it?

Shot in the dark guess here....just a guess. I "thought" all tail shaft bushings were the same, but am I wrong? Is there any chance that there is more than one possible bushing and you have the wrong one? Maybe a tail section swapped out in the past & doesn't match the front half? Total guess

And....I will "assume" there isn't a repair sleeve or something on the driveshaft yoke, correct? That is weird

To remove the tailstock you first have to remove the side cover. When you pull out the tailstock all the rollers will fall out of the input shaft. At that point, four more bolts and the case is on your workbench and you're saying "WTF didn't I take the whole trans out in the first place" !!!

The housing bore maybe machined a little tight, why not hone out the new bushing a little before you install it?

Auto Transport Service
Back