• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

400 big block build thoughts

mcv

Local time
9:44 AM
Reaction score
Hey y'all, I can buy a 400 block already bored 30 0ver ready to build.I can also buy a set of kb240 pistons dirt cheap. So how much horsepower can I get with:
400 bored 30 over
kb240 pistons
eddy e street heads 75cc heads (should get 10-1 compression)
383 steel crank
290ish duration/ 560ish lift cam
hooker super comp headers 1 7/8 ...maybe bigger will have to look
msd dist, msd ignition box and coil.
eddy tm6 intake/ worked 750 dp... or weiand tunnel ram 2 600dp's.

I dont want to stroke this one, Iam just looking for something to throw into a mini tubbed, ladder bar car for some cheap fun... since i already have most of the parts. Thanks

425-475 crank hp, maybe 375-400whp depending on several factors like ring seal, exhaust, valve job, induction etc. The stock rods might be the weak point aside from the pistons. I would keep it below 6500rpm.

It sounds like it should rip for an old school combo.

My whp number assumes a 727 trans and 10" street strip converter. High end numbers are 2" headers and the t-ram fwiw.

If it’s really 10:1, should easily get over 500 with a decent cam.

That’s only 1.25hp/ci

That's close to what I was thinking.. trans is 727, reverse manual valvebody, and a 3500 stall. I was told by kB tech line I should safely be able to spray a 100hp shot of nitrous. So this could be a fun cheap set up.... thanks

Just make SURE your ring end gaps are right with those KP pistons! VERY important with those ash trays....and especially so if you are going to put some of the laughing gas to them.

I would put cast pistons in and spray 200HP before I'd use the Hypers.

I can get the pistons cheap, that's the main reason for those... Nitrous is something iam just thinking might be a possibility.

Brand new in box with rings and reconditioned rods for 200$

Just make sure the rings gaps are correct, and keep it out of detonation...... should be fine.

I’d probably pass on the spray though.

I made 415 HP and 450 TQ with a zero deck 400 with a mild 222/234 cam. You should be in the 425-450 range.

Thanks for all the replies... the idea of just a "400" is what iam going for
Iam hoping for around 450hp at this point, should be fun.

Hey y'all, I can buy a 400 block already bored 30 0ver ready to build.I can also buy a set of kb240 pistons dirt cheap. So how much horsepower can I get with:
400 bored 30 over
kb240 pistons
eddy e street heads 75cc heads (should get 10-1 compression)
383 steel crank
290ish duration/ 560ish lift cam
hooker super comp headers 1 7/8 ...maybe bigger will have to look
msd dist, msd ignition box and coil.
eddy tm6 intake/ worked 750 dp... or weiand tunnel ram 2 600dp's.

I dont want to stroke this one, Iam just looking for something to throw into a mini tubbed, ladder bar car for some cheap fun... since i already have most of the parts. Thanks
I have the same engine and this is what I did; I have never stroked an engine though some do. Stock bore 400 I ordered keith black 10.5 to 1 pistons, added a lunati cam did a gasket match and a valve job with a good head bowl debur. Other than that just a basic bearing and gasket set with a decent intake and 750 carb. This thing is WILD!!! I have built many 440 engines and this thing will compete. I put it in a 71 Duster with a 373 gear and second gear will literally slap your head against the head rest. I am so suprised and pleased with this motor........

I sold the short block to a friend for his 1978 dodge ram d100, mini tubbed and caged w4.30 gear. The truck is pretty impressive. I will be building another short block for me. The 400 is the perfect low dollar build

Has anyone ever did a Budget 400 build to a 451 using cast crank? does it hold up cutting a cast crank?

Has anyone ever did a Budget 400 build to a 451 using cast crank? does it hold up cutting a cast crank?
I know a few people that have built 470 cubic inch 400 with a 440 cast crank . They seem to be holding up. Just have to be conscious of the rpm and the limitations of a cast crank....

Auto Transport Service
Back