• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

400 stroker build ideas

400 or 440 foundation? What cam are you running ..sounds great!!

Thanks, it's a 400 block using a comp cam solid roller 646/653 lift that Dwayne Porter spec'd for the combo

400/512 combos are great on the street. I run one in my roadrunner.

source kit w dish pistons, TF270’s, Indy single plain, and a .650 lift cam and you’ll make mid 600’s all day long.

For 650 HP, look at using a max wedge port cylinder head.
The Trick Flow 270 might be a good choice.
My '71 Charger is using the Max Wedge Victor heads, but I have had a few issues with them.
You will want a good matching MW intake with either a large 950+ cfm 4150 base carb or a dominator (or EFI?)
The 400 in the charger is using the 4.15" stroker kit (499") and the pistons do use a oil ring support rail. A bit different, but no problems with it.
I wish the 4.15" stroker kit used the smaller GM 2.2 rod journal size like the other stroker kits.
With the Mopar sized rod journals the 4.15" stroker needs about the same clearance as the 4.25" stroker kit with the 2.2" rod journal kit.
I used the flat top pistons, so my compression ratio is about 12.4:1
I have used two different solid roller cams using Comps HXL lobes, a single pattern 264/264 @ 0.050", and the current split duration 270+ duration (I forgot the exact specs, but in the 270's @ 0.050"
The cam Andy F used in this article sounds like a good choice:
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/dyno-day-trick-flow-270-mopar-heads/
More links to Andy F articles:
http://arengineering.com/tech/
On my engine, expecting 700+ HP, I used the BCR aluminum main caps and 1/2" girdle.

I have built a few 550-600 HP engines using the stock main caps and ARP studs. These were street/strip engines and have not had much of a chance to have the caps back off to inspect them for cap walk. My old 451 stroker 400 stroker short block looked pretty good after 10,000 miles when it dropped an intake valve.

For 650 HP, look at using a max wedge port cylinder head.
The Trick Flow 270 might be a good choice.
My '71 Charger is using the Max Wedge Victor heads, but I have had a few issues with them.
You will want a good matching MW intake with either a large 950+ cfm 4150 base carb or a dominator (or EFI?)
The 400 in the charger is using the 4.15" stroker kit (499") and the pistons do use a oil ring support rail. A bit different, but no problems with it.
I wish the 4.15" stroker kit used the smaller GM 2.2 rod journal size like the other stroker kits.
With the Mopar sized rod journals the 4.15" stroker needs about the same clearance as the 4.25" stroker kit with the 2.2" rod journal kit.
I used the flat top pistons, so my compression ratio is about 12.4:1
I have used two different solid roller cams using Comps HXL lobes, a single pattern 264/264 @ 0.050", and the current split duration 270+ duration (I forgot the exact specs, but in the 270's @ 0.050"
The cam Andy F used in this article sounds like a good choice:
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/dyno-day-trick-flow-270-mopar-heads/
More links to Andy F articles:
http://arengineering.com/tech/
On my engine, expecting 700+ HP, I used the BCR aluminum main caps and 1/2" girdle.

I have built a few 550-600 HP engines using the stock main caps and ARP studs. These were street/strip engines and have not had much of a chance to have the caps back off to inspect them for cap walk. My old 451 stroker 400 stroker short block looked pretty good after 10,000 miles when it dropped an intake valve.

I have that actual cam in my dads pump gas 512. It’s a bit much for a lot of street duty. Really brutal ramps.

Yes, the HXL lobs are pretty fast. Make good power, but you need good valve springs.
I have the Comp Hydraulic Roller 236/242 in the 505" stroked 440 for the convertible, and it is pretty mild in that engine, even with 1.6:1 rocker arms.
Never dynoed the engine, bit I think maybe around 530 HP? That is with 440 source stealth heads, 10.3:1 compression (17 cc dish pistons.)

Auto Transport Service
Back