• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

400 stroker build ideas

TexasRoadRunner68

Local time
10:54 PM
Reaction score
I have a 400 block...not a cold weather but still has beefy mains. I like the idea of a stronger block with big cubes that can rev fast...it would go in a primarily street driven car with some possible track use. I was thinking 470 or 500 stroker kit from 440 source. I’d like to have 600-650 hp if possible. Will trick flow heads with a good intake and Holley xp850 get me there with the right cam and CR?

Or what heads, intake and cam would you go with?

Should I add a girdle or aluminum main caps? I know mopars are known for cao walk.

wanting something that can take abuse!

I’d go 500 ci from a 400 with raised port heads and a roller cam. A good hydration roller will still get you 6000rpm plus. Dad has a 493 built from a 440 and it turns 6000 easy. Have a smaller 282 flat tapper hydraulic cam in it cause it’s just a highway cruiser. But if it had a nice roller cam would turn way harder then that.
his engine makes 558 hp and would exceed 600 with a big cam. Has perf world aluminum heads with no porting. Just straight out of the box and bolt on.

I have a 400 block...not a cold weather but still has beefy mains.
They're all awesome, just sayin'

My two cents... I'd call Indy long before I'd go with 440 source anything. Seems no one does anymore tho, why is that??
I'd ask all the racers in the forum here for a custom cam grinder recommendation, cuz that's the way to get that accomplished, hands down. My last good custom cam came from Ultradydne (strongly considering being buried with it in the casket).

Good luck Lefty71

There's nothing wrong with a 440Source kit. You'll rarely hear complaints from anyone who has actually used one.

Same build on a 400 will get you there. However not sure what a 400 will rev like. Much less a stroker. I went 496 stroker on my 383 from 440 source and very similar cam but hydraulic roller, with the rest the same as the build. 610hp at the crank.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/chrysler-383-big-block-mopar-for-the-masses/
Impressive build there. Did you use the MM Source heads? In the article I noticed they milled the stock looking ends off the heads (my favorite part of those heads lol!).

Impressive build there. Did you use the MM Source heads? In the article I noticed they milled the stock looking ends off the heads (my favorite part of those heads lol!).
I used the exact heads, 440 Source Stealth heads. Externally left them alone, but did send them to MM for them to replicate the same CNC on them. Block was line honed, bored .030 and rotating assy was checked and assembled by my machine shop in Vegas, "Insane Power".
79540.jpeg
20200105_140227.jpg

I have a 451 with Stealth heads and a 500 with 240 Trick Flows. I like them both. The 500 has a very mild cam and low 9.6:1 comp ratio, makes 571hp and 604 ft lbs. Never pings or detonates and no dieseling on a hot shutdown. 451 has a hotter cam and 10:1 CR. Had to back down the timing down to 32 and slow the advance down to prevent detonation on that one. 451 makes 550 hp and 550 ft lbs.
With todays crappy gas, I would do a 470 or 500 with a 9.5 or 9.6 CR to eliminate the pinging issues.

4.375 bore x4.250 stroke. 6.700 long BBC rod and 1.120 comp height piston. Plenty of room for block deck correction. Tad better rod ratio than the 6.535 combo. Lighter rotating assembly. And the short compression height on the piston is NOT a problem. Look at modern Hemi or LS piston heights.

That Hotrod article seems pretty much in line with what i see with my 383/432 Stroker 440 Source , running that same Comp Cams XE275 HL Hydraulic

5200 RPMs

5200 - 5400 on the street

Great low end Torque , little scary at times with 3:91 Gears

I run the E Street Heads 75cc

Makes for 10.5 Compression - 34 degrees of timing , zero issues running 93 Octane with 10% Eth

I used the exact heads, 440 Source Stealth heads. Externally left them alone, but did send them to MM for them to replicate the same CNC on them. Block was line honed, bored .030 and rotating assy was checked and assembled by my machine shop in Vegas, "Insane Power". View attachment 1129597View attachment 1129598
Interested in this build, is there a thread on it? What about the serpentine set up?

I have a 400 block...not a cold weather but still has beefy mains. I like the idea of a stronger block with big cubes that can rev fast...it would go in a primarily street driven car with some possible track use. I was thinking 470 or 500 stroker kit from 440 source. I’d like to have 600-650 hp if possible. Will trick flow heads with a good intake and Holley xp850 get me there with the right cam and CR?

Or what heads, intake and cam would you go with?

Should I add a girdle or aluminum main caps? I know mopars are known for cao walk.

wanting something that can take abuse!

I went with 440Source stroker kit. Kept the CR down a bit for good pump gas. Used CNC Stealth heads with the proper valve and upgrades they recommend. The hydraulic roller cam listed on their site.
http://store.440source.com/Comp-Cams-Custom-Hydraulic-Roller-Retrofit-Cam-571/productinfo/145-1714/

The build went well and runs very strong and likes to go! For the same price, I went with 512. Figured get as much as you can for the money. I did feel I was taking a chance on the street possibilities. But it goes very good on the street no issues. Cruises very well.

Good luck. If I can help in anyway, don’t hesitate!

Interested in this build, is there a thread on it? What about the serpentine set up?
No, I did not do a writeup on the build. I just copied the build I referenced but went 496" instead
Screenshot_20210626-085125_Chrome.jpg
. Pretty straight forward. As for the serpentine setup, it is a Superior Design Concepts. Issue after doing is fan/shroud fitment.

Any one had issues with the bigger stroke setups? Anything over 470 on a 400 block puts the wrist pin in the oil ring area and requires support rails. They recommend a 470 for something with a lot of street use, just trying to gather the drawbacks to going bigger.

Any one had issues with the bigger stroke setups? Anything over 470 on a 400 block puts the wrist pin in the oil ring area and requires support rails. They recommend a 470 for something with a lot of street use, just trying to gather the drawbacks to going bigger.

Not true.... The 500 requires support rails, the 512 does not.... And while I love the 470 combo the 512 is just more cubes and even more fun....

The 512 uses the same pistons as the 470

The 500 has the support rails. I plan to go 512 because if i went 470 i would always wish i went 512 ;-)

Auto Transport Service
Back