• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

413 Max Wedge Block Valve Notch Diagram

w.Hudson

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:52 AM
Reaction score
Can anyone send me the technical drawing for cutting the valve notches in a 413 block ?

There is one in the big Direct Connection book.

Thanks in advance.

I would bolt the head on the bare block and mark it. Or go by the headgasket reliefs.

IMG_20240110_114158515.jpg

The original tool was made by Ed Iskedarian... I though I saw reletively recently that you could still get them?? Maybe Goodson? Maybe Iskedarian??

The original tool was made by Ed Iskedarian... I though I saw reletively recently that you could still get them?? Maybe Goodson? Maybe Iskedarian??

I would like to find the tool to notch the block to run a mushroom tappet

find the tool to notch the block to run a mushroom tappet
Back spot-face cutter?? I have no experience with mushroom lifters (and their cams) but I do remember mention of the need for cuts to be taken in specific areas. I have also read that the info should be taken with a grain of salt because depending on the block, that work may or may not need need to be done. Hard to find any of those cams these days.... anyone here have experience?? Curious if anyone has used mushroom cam lifter combos without any machining required??

Last edited:
Back spot-face cutter?? I have no experience with mushroom lifters (and their cams) but I do remember mention of the need for cuts to be taken in specific areas. I have also read that the info should be taken with a grain of salt because depending on the block, that work may or may need need to be done. Hard to find any of those cams these days.... anyone here have experience?? Curious if anyone has used mushroom cam lifter combos without any machining required??
I ran a mini express mushroom in a 426 maxwedge block. I had the bottoms of the lifter bores relieved...... and it was totally unnecessary.
I was very inexperienced with that much cam at the time, and the mini lost a few lobes (way too much spring pressure, poor breakin).
I wish I hadn't thrown the lifters away, they could have been saved.
IF I still had a mini, and IF I had a block to run it in, I would SURELY mock up the cam and lifters to see if relieving is necessary in that particular block
Edit; I also had the bore relieved deeper for the big exhaust valve of the max head, which was also unnecessary. .070 over (to standard 440) had plenty of bore size for the 1.88 valve, to .750 lift.

Last edited:
If you have a steady hand and a grinder you can do it. Lay the gasket down mark it then find the top ring travel mark that. I placed a bare head on with only exhaust valves and checker springs. I ground a little, used Dykem checked and repeated until clear.

IMG_1503.JPG

I ran a mini express mushroom in a 426 maxwedge block. I had the bottoms of the lifter bores relieved...... and it was totally unnecessary.
I was very inexperienced with that much cam at the time, and the mini lost a few lobes (way too much spring pressure, poor breakin).
I wish I hadn't thrown the lifters away, they could have been saved.
IF I still had a mini, and IF I had a block to run it in, I would SURELY mock up the cam and lifters to see if relieving is necessary in that particular block
Edit; I also had the bore relieved deeper for the big exhaust valve of the max head, which was also unnecessary. .070 over (to standard 440) had plenty of bore size for the 1.88 valve, to .750 lift.
I will check to see if relieving is necessary.
This block will be 4.190 or 4.220 bore size and definitely will check valve to cylinder clearance.
Most likely will cut the valve notch on a CNC to replicate what the factory did on this original block.

If you have a steady hand and a grinder you can do it. Lay the gasket down mark it then find the top ring travel mark that. I placed a bare head on with only exhaust valves and checker springs. I ground a little, used Dykem checked and repeated until clear.

View attachment 1588300
I did the same. Max wedges on a .060 383, had to clearance quite a bit to allow .750 lift. Did both sides to deshroud the intakes which were larger as well. I would hand blend them for efficiency, or cnc them for some nostalgic reason.

I've done it with a carbide. It's actually pretty easy and quick. If you install the head with no valve springs then slide in the exhaust valve in it's easy to see. Mark it, remove the head and cut.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back