• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

413 Question

baucco

Local time
6:42 PM
Reaction score
I have found a very gently used 413 that is currently in a 1970 Dodge RV. Could this engine be converted and used for good street car? What are the differences between an RV version and the automobile version? Thanks,Dan

Some RVs had a different head and water pump housing on them. It's easy to spot, because the housing not only bolts the block in the standard location, it bolts to the end of the heads as well. The heads also use the smaller diameter plugs and will have a "steam pocket" around them. That also means the block will have 16 extra holes in it to feed water in to these "steam pockets" or water jackets if you prefer. These extra holes in the block will not cause you a problem when used with normal heads.

There was also a 413 industrial or truck motor that had a longer crank from the rear seal back. I don't believe there was any difference in the block that would prevent you from running a "normal" RB crank in it. But never having actually had one, I can't say for sure.

Did I miss anything boys? I'm awful tired right now and ain't thinkin straight

Auto Transport Service
Back