• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

413 Truck engines

nodust

Local time
5:20 AM
Reaction score
Is a 413 block out of a Dodge 600 truck of any value. I read somewhere it was the same block used in a Max Wedge.

I'd say so, max wedge or not. If you can, find the casting number on the side of the block..... pix overall, and of the front stamped pad always help too.

They are an Odd Ball Engine.
Block is only thing that I ever use.
Heads/Intake/Water Pump are strange
pieces.

Is a 413 block out of a Dodge 600 truck of any value. I read somewhere it was the same block used in a Max Wedge.
I rebuilt the 413 in my 71 dodge C-1000. Block is ok. Crank will be 8 bolt and might also have differences. If it is a 413-3 for sure heads, intake, and everything up front is unique to an industrial engine.

See if there is "AAQA" cast on the front of the block. This denotes higher nickel content and harder block. Used on Max Wedge and industrial, and possibly heavy duty truck. Max Wedge blocks have a machined notch at the top of the cylinder for clearance for large intake valves.

Not likely anyone has ever sonic checked one of them?

See if there is "AAQA" cast on the front of the block. This denotes higher nickel content and harder block. Used on Max Wedge and industrial, and possibly heavy duty truck. Max Wedge blocks have a machined notch at the top of the cylinder for clearance for large intake valves.
Uh, exhaust notches for large Exhaust valves.... (intakes are standard 2.08).

Last edited:
This block should have the "checkerboard ribs" on the sides of the block. what year is it?
I don't remember the thickness from sonic check, however more than one was bored .090" oversize bore.

jim

This block should have the "checkerboard ribs" on the sides of the block. what year is it?
I don't remember the thickness from sonic check, however more than one was bored .090" oversize bore.

jim
.093 over 413, you could use .030 over 426 pistons. Not common any more, but I bet more available than 413 pistons. (Just a guess).

exactly what was done. :)

64 Max Wedges had two notches in each Cylinder.
62/63 Max Wedge had only one notch in each.

jim
I’ll check it out tomorrow.

I was lucky and found one here in the UK.

It is the same block as the 1962 max wedge casting!

So I bought some 1962 maxie heads and then the money run out lol...
The ports are HUGE!!!

Just gotta save up for the pistons, crank, rods and intake manifolds now...

62 max wedge 1852029.JPG

Big ports lol.jpg

Last edited:
is the block casting number on the left side?

The ports are HUGE!!!

View attachment 1416420

View attachment 1416423

I could easily be wrong, I don't have easy access to the bbm that I have here, but I think the casting number is on the passenger (right) side. (Driver side in the UK, lol)
Edit: and for what it's worth, that is the casting number that I have seen posted for a 413 maxwedge. I'm curious if it has the exhaust notches.

Last edited:

The ports are HUGE!!!

View attachment 1416420

View attachment 1416423
It is my understanding that RL cast into the block stands for raised large. My 361 has LS cast into it for low small, and 383's I have seen have LL for low large. The 361 is 4.125 bore and the 383 is 4.25 bore. I thought a passenger 413 which was 4.185 bore would be an RS and a 426 which was 4.25 bore would be an RL. Maybe the max wedge 413's got the thicker cylinder wall castings?

1014590-c76b0732f7fe3bb7e9259b0ac2890ad9.jpg

There was an earlier thread regarding the letters cast into the early blocks called "Engine Casting # Mark Question"

Auto Transport Service
Back