• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

426 Hemi Intake Question

Thx 68 Hemi GTS, as that Was my Same Initial Reasoning for my Specific vintage 426 Race Hemi application with similar 1964--1965 Cam timing & 0.570" lift specs, I thought the unmodified factory SS intake & 770 carbs would Match my 3600 lb 6500 rev points thru 4500 Converter, 4:56 Gearing & tall Slicks... Obviously Not a Serious racer but a Decent Nostalgic street cruiser & ET strip runner...

The reasoning back in the day for 2 carbs? There weren't any single carbs that flowed well enough. In todays world you can get a 1100 cfm 4150 style carb. And then of course the Dominator style carbs that exist now are even better. I agree the wedge and Hemi crossrams are 2 different animals. The Hemi doesn't have paired intake ports which in my mind helps. The Hemi intake is a newer design by a few years as well. I've seen plenty of cross ram Hemis run very well. But they can be improved upon. They are good, just not the best.
Doug

Thx 68 Hemi GTS, as that Was my Same Initial Reasoning for my Specific vintage 426 Race Hemi application with similar 1964--1965 Cam timing & 0.570" lift specs, I thought the unmodified factory SS intake & 770 carbs would Match my 3600 lb 6500 rev points thru 4500 Converter, 4:56 Gearing & tall Slicks... Obviously Not a Serious racer but a Decent Nostalgic street cruiser & ET strip runner...

Itll work good. There are some good single plane 4 barrel intakes out there that make great power but hemi’s are kind if boring to look at imo with single carbs.. even with a dominator.

IMG_7385.jpeg
IMG_7797.jpeg

Fine Looking Hemi there !! ......I fully agree with the Single big Quad "Boring" BB Chevy Look you see Everywhere....This Build just looking for Reliable nostalgia "A990" SS look with Hard launching Soft tall wrinkle wall Hoosier cheaters.... Considering changing Crank & pistons for 472" upgrade.....Would the newer removable Lid X--Ram intake be worth the $$ over my stock Magi for significant performance improvement if using the 472" engine ??

Fine Looking Hemi there !! ......I fully agree with the Single big Quad "Boring" BB Chevy Look you see Everywhere....This Build just looking for Reliable nostalgia "A990" SS look with Hard launching Soft tall wrinkle wall Hoosier cheaters.... Considering changing Crank & pistons for 472" upgrade.....Would the newer removable Lid X--Ram intake be worth the $$ over my stock Magi for significant performance improvement if using the 472" engine ??

On a 472 id run the original intake. I ran the MP on a 505 street/strip car and i would say it was borderline.

Arlen Vanke once told me. "Stuff a roller cam, crossram, and headers on a stock street Hemi. If it doesn't run 10's you did something wrong."
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back