• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help me pick a cam - 426 Hemi

70chall440

Local time
3:52 PM
Reaction score
I am definitely not new to engine building however I thought it would be interesting to start this thread to see what opinions and comments it can generate (much like a group of people standing/sitting around a garage bench racing). Engine is a 1966 426 and was raced extensively. The block was windowed at some point but repaired and continued to be used as a race motor for some time.

So here are the specs that we are working with;

Bore = 4.305"
Stroke = 3.750
Heads = stock 1969 unmodified
CR = ~10.5:1
Exhaust = Headers of some kind, might make some fender well types
Intake = single 4BBL with EFI
Ignition = Unsure right now, probably either a Mopar Electronic unit or perhaps MSD
Trans - A833 4spd (23 spline because that is what I have)
Rearend = 8 3/4 or perhaps a Dana (I don't need to hear about the weakness of the 8 3/4, I am aware)

The engine will be going into a 70 Roadrunner that has been heavily modified with a tilt front end but otherwise is relatively stock appearing. Now, the intention of this car is to be a cool/neat street machine NOT a race car. I am NOT looking for max HP and this engine (as long as I have it) will not see 7K+ RPM. What I am after is reliability and decent manners but enough lift/duration to allow the engine to get out of its own way (it is a Hemi after all).

I have what I think is a Mopar solid lifter cam and as near as I can determine is PN 4349257 which is .524/.507 but I would rather run a hydraulic cam. I don't need/want something that is crazy lumpy with little to no vacuum. I am not sure if I am going to run power brakes or not due to the modifications to the front of the car, I might do a hydroboost system or just go manual discs.

So there you have it, let the fun begin and lets hear/read your thoughts, experiences and opinions on this subject.

I am definitely not new to engine building however I thought it would be interesting to start this thread to see what opinions and comments it can generate (much like a group of people standing/sitting around a garage bench racing). Engine is a 1966 426 and was raced extensively. The block was windowed at some point but repaired and continued to be used as a race motor for some time.

So here are the specs that we are working with;

Bore = 4.305"
Stroke = 3.750
Heads = stock 1969 unmodified
CR = ~10.5:1
Exhaust = Headers of some kind, might make some fender well types
Intake = single 4BBL with EFI
Ignition = Unsure right now, probably either a Mopar Electronic unit or perhaps MSD
Trans - A833 4spd (23 spline because that is what I have)
Rearend = 8 3/4 or perhaps a Dana (I don't need to hear about the weakness of the 8 3/4, I am aware)

The engine will be going into a 70 Roadrunner that has been heavily modified with a tilt front end but otherwise is relatively stock appearing. Now, the intention of this car is to be a cool/neat street machine NOT a race car. I am NOT looking for max HP and this engine (as long as I have it) will not see 7K+ RPM. What I am after is reliability and decent manners but enough lift/duration to allow the engine to get out of its own way (it is a Hemi after all).

I have what I think is a Mopar solid lifter cam and as near as I can determine is PN 4349257 which is .524/.507 but I would rather run a hydraulic cam. I don't need/want something that is crazy lumpy with little to no vacuum. I am not sure if I am going to run power brakes or not due to the modifications to the front of the car, I might do a hydroboost system or just go manual discs.

So there you have it, let the fun begin and lets hear/read your thoughts, experiences and opinions on this subject.
Mild cam. I have a 331 Chrysler hemi the cam in that motor has a 465 lift cam in it ( isky ). I know the gen 1 hemis, and the gen 2 hemis are different animals. I don't have the motor mounted in anything, it's on a cradle. I read what Don Garlits said about giving the gen 1 hemis too much cam. I don't know if that applies to the gen 2's i guess i wasn't much help. :)

Because of the large ports, Hemis like RPM. So I think careful consideration is needed.

I have to say I am surprised this thread didn't get more attention, figured there would be a few old hemi guys out there that would comment.

Come on... there has to be a few old school Hemi guys on here... LOL Right now I am looking at a Mopar Purple Hydraulic cam.

I'm running the Comp 292H in my 472 hemi with an auto and a 3.54 Dana 60. .534 int., .517 ex. 244 dur @.050. I was running a modified Holley 950 on an Indy intake with 2 1/8" headers. I recently switched to dual Eddy 650 AVS2 on a KB marine dual plane. My engine pulls really hard 2500-6500 but still idles at 1100 RPM's and cruises smoothly at 60 MPH.

Last edited:
I have a Ray Barton cam in my hemi, and it's great, especially for a PDB car. Might be worth a call to Ray to see if he has anything for ya.

He has different grinds (Ultradyne cams) based on your needs.

I would call Tim Goolsby at bullet. Tell him what your after for your hemi. Tim has been around cams for a long time. He was Harold Brookshires first employee when ultradyne was started. We usually have a pretty good idea what we are after but some bullet cam grinds are new and you won't be able to find any grind specs with out talking to a human. Bullet owns Ultradyne. We have installed quite a few bullet and ultradyne cams:thumbsup:

I would call Tim Goolsby at bullet. Tell him what your after for your hemi. Tim has been around cams for a long time. He was Harold Brookshires first employee when ultradyne was started. We usually have a pretty good idea what we are after but some bullet cam grinds are new and you won't be able to find any grind specs with out talking to a human. Bullet owns Ultradyne. We have installed quite a few bullet and ultradyne cams:thumbsup:
I second a call to bullet/Ultradyne. I use them to custom grind cams for the engines I build.

Auto Transport Service
Back