• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

426 Street Hemi stock camshaft

Richard Cranium

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:41 AM
Reaction score
The cam in my 66 Belvedere is the infamous "3/4 race cam", whatever that is. Being an automatic, the idle is about 1,200 & when you drop it in gear, it drops down to about 600 & barely wants to run. Not to mention that it produces no vacuum at 600 rpm for the power brakes. So. my intention is to get a stock street Hemi camshaft & it appears that this one is the only one available. It has the same lift as a stock cam, but the duration is down from the stock 278 to 241. Thoughts?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-p4529316ae/make/dodge#overview

That's a pretty tame cam. Should be very streetable. I'm wondering what's in there now? Back in the day, I remember the term "3/4 race" I believe there was a full race also? ruffcut

I've run it. Nothing deballs a Hemi like running a camshaft like that. It will do what you want though.

Call comp cams and have them do a custom grind to match what your looking for. Doesn’t cost much more than the one you’re looking at Summit. That’s what I did on the last stock Hemi I built. Received the cam in 3-4 weeks.

If the cam was changed does it still have the stock torque converter?

Last edited:
That's 241° @ .050. Advertised is 300 or better I bet. No wonder why it's such a pig and 106° is going to be choppy.

Nobody’s got the stock cam. They are all on back order and this is the only one available that I can find.

The cam in my 66 Belvedere is the infamous "3/4 race cam", whatever that is. Being an automatic, the idle is about 1,200 & when you drop it in gear, it drops down to about 600 & barely wants to run. Not to mention that it produces no vacuum at 600 rpm for the power brakes. So. my intention is to get a stock street Hemi camshaft & it appears that this one is the only one available. It has the same lift as a stock cam, but the duration is down from the stock 278 to 241. Thoughts?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-p4529316ae/make/dodge#overview
The 241 duration given is at .050 lift. The 278 figure quoted is most likely a seat to seat duration. It’s like comparing apples with oranges. I would think 241@050 is larger than a stock hemi cam.

From an old post on here, stock hemi was 226@050 and a 112LSA. Seems reasonable.

I used Cam Motion in Baton Rouge, La. They grind camshaft for Ray Barton and are a bunch really sharp guys.

They cut a cam for my Hemi - solid lifter .541 on the intake .573 on the exhaust 252 duration @ .050 110 Centerline.
The car had big headers and 3 inch exhaust. Auto transmission
and the stock Hemi Street converter. I set the base ignition timing at 16 degrees and 34 total.
It idled very well and sounded great.
Cam Motion also cut a cam for another Hemi with exhaust manifolds and a 4 speed. It had more lift that the other cam and it
ran just as good or better.

Neither one of these two cars had power brakes. Make sure to tell them that.

I bet they can grind you something that will out perform the stock cam but be very docile.

Well, what about a looser converter? The job to swap either a cam or a converter is probably a bit quicker to swap the converter. If you like the way the car drives other than the low idle that could be an idea.

Just a thought.

Cliff Ramsdell

I think the stock cam had an advertised duration of around 284, .474 lift and later at .484. But not sure about rated lobe separation - what I found mentioned was around 110. Sounds like 106 would hurt idle vacuum that you’re interested in.

Reach out to Mr Six Pack and get one of his cams... or at least check him out. Tom Hoover was a very good friend/ neighbor of his...

While you have the cam you currently have, check your timing. 16° advance can make a huge difference on idle in gear. May increase vacuum also.

I've also run that Comp cams 270-S8, also very mild but it performed better than the first one listed. I think you would be happier with that one.

Classic Industries claims to have the hydraulic version in stock.

Agreed on possibly bumping up initial timing (then limit total of course) and loosen the converter.

781317-57551771862402dd01f447429fc1e7ca.jpg

They did exist. Ofcourse I'm not much help in your search.

Auto Transport Service
Back