• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

426 Wedge in a 66 Coronet?

Not talking about BS.
They can be found in all sorts of odd places besides the "traditional" rear seat springs

IBM card.

I've NEVER seen any IBM card found in any car.

Got this link from another thread-

[email protected]

It also said they can't provide card for Canadian cars.

Not sure if that means cars built in Canada, Ordered in Canada, or built for export to Canada.

I'd darn sure try her, though.
I’ve already sent them all of our paperwork and proof of ownership they told me they would get back to me in the weeks to come roughly a week ago so we’re still in the middle of the waiting game to hear from the Historical records

1964 and 1965 426 Wedge cars always came with a front sway bar, but not 383 cars. If the car was built to 383 spec's, as "G" code suggests, I would think it may not have had a front bar. I would think that all Hemi cars came with a front sway bar, so this might be an area of investigation. On early 1966 builds, the front frame rails are different than later cars to mount the clamp-on bar that is also used on 1964-1965 426 Wedge cars. A car built to 383 spec's would have come with a 22" radiator support, unless a cooling or towing package was also ordered. The Hemi engine package would have included a 26" radiator and support. I once inspected a local HP2 Belvedere. I will try to find my paperwork on it to determine build date.
383 cars normally came with 10" brakes, while 426 Wedge cars always had 11" brakes.

Last edited:
I had to go out and look at my '64 Polara and '67 R/T, but you are right, Wayne. I mistakenly thought it was the frame ends that were different, but it is the K-frame that changed. The '67 K-frame does not have those mounting holes like the '64 one does. Thanks, things learned/remembered every day.
I found the notes on the '66 HP2 Belvedere OK that I inspected: Dec. 14, 1965 build date, SO# 32008, VIN 180429, block casting date August 16, 1965. The real odd thing was paint code 661 (1966-only Mauve Metallic). Car was now Resale Red. Lynch Road car built the day before yours, Wayne.

Last edited:
1964 and 1965 426 Wedge cars always came with a front sway bar, but not 383 cars. If the car was built to 383 spec's, as "G" code suggests, I would think it may not have had a front bar. I would think that all Hemi cars came with a front sway bar, so this might be an area of investigation. On early 1966 builds, the front frame rails are different than later cars to mount the clamp-on bar that is also used on 1964-1965 426 Wedge cars. A car built to 383 spec's would have come with a 22" radiator support, unless a cooling or towing package was also ordered. The Hemi engine package would have included a 26" radiator and support. I once inspected a local HP2 Belvedere. I will try to find my paperwork on it to determine build date.
383 cars normally came with 10" brakes, while 426 Wedge cars always had 11" brakes.
Well, that's a good question for the OP. Size of front brakes, and whether or not it has the sway bar. But was the sway bar an option on the 383s? I had a 63 Belvedere that had a sway bar. It was an old police car.

Well, that's a good question for the OP. Size of front brakes, and whether or not it has the sway bar. But was the sway bar an option on the 383s? I had a 63 Belvedere that had a sway bar. It was an old police car.
It was likely an option. I had a 1962 Dart that was an Ontario Provincial Police (O.P.P.) cruiser. It had 313, 3- speed on the column, 15" wheels and tires, 11" brakes, and sway bar. Yes, the other way of having front sway bar was it being a police car. The 11" brakes were likely part of the package, as well.

Throw out the fender tag and broadcast sheet and it’s a 426 ci car whether it’s a hemi or wedge. Use your imagination.

You made me go Crack open the book :rolleyes:

Found some interesting stuff though.. (and this is a dodge Dart/Coronet book, not cbody)View attachment 1411151View attachment 1411152
Portions of the Service Manuals are copied from year to year so you need to take some of the information “with a grain of salt“

What's the meaning of the phrase 'Take with a grain of salt'?​

To take a statement with 'a grain of salt' (or 'a pinch of salt') means to accept it while maintaining a degree of scepticism about its truth.

Portions of the Service Manuals are copied from year to year so you need to take some of the information “with a grain of salt“

To take a statement with 'a grain of salt' (or 'a pinch of salt') means to accept it while maintaining a degree of scepticism about its truth.
No argument there. I just said it was interesting.
More interesting if this car turns out to be something.

This should be expected.

References to a 426W in the 66 service manual, in a C body, have already been documented by factory documents. See post 73.

I have heard they built a few 426 streetwedge in early 66.
My Galen book shows 1 in a 66 440 hdtp Wh23H6 Sorry if the question has been answered. No time to read through 11 pages of posts.

My Galen book shows 1 in a 66 440 hdtp Wh23H6 Sorry if the question has been answered. No time to read through 11 pages of posts.
That’s what I had seen too, because this car I have is a 440 Hard top, it’s what spiked my interest in this being a 1 of 1 car, or this being another to add to the list.

That’s what I had seen too, because this car I have is a 440 Hard top, it’s what spiked my interest in this being a 1 of 1 car, or this being another to add to the list.
Is that what your VIN is? WH23H

Does it list the rest of the VIN?

Auto Transport Service
Back