• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

42RH feels like it's trying to lock up in Drive.......

Cranky

Banned Henchman #27
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:51 PM
Reaction score
This is on my 95 Beater Dakota. 1st and 2nd feel ok and just 3rd and running about 25-30 mph I noticed it felt like something was tugging at it and slowing it down....like a small trailer with flat spotted tires but loading up the truck. First thought was the low/reverse band is was trying to come on but would that have any effect in D? Transmission has about 105k miles on it. The tugging goes away when I dropped it into 2nd and even first. Been driving it and was on my way home and on my street when this started happening. Acts fine in all the other gears.

I had something like you're describing happen in the Satellite, and it turned out partly to seem like a bent choke arm on my new carburetor causing issues. But once we got that sorted and the "phantom trailer" it felt like I was towing seemed to kinda go away, it also coincided suddenly with the low/reverse not working. So no longer tugging a phantom trailer, but now had no reverse, but the car went forward in D, through all gears. Tranny shop fixed it up for me. Band nut had backed itself off.

Last edited:
I had something like you're describing happen in the Satellite, and it turned out partly to seem like a bent choke arm on my new carburetor causing issues. But once we got that sorted and the "phantom trailer" it felt like I was towing seemed to kinda go away, it also coincided suddenly with the low/reverse not working. So no longer tugging a phantom trailer, but now had no reverse, but the car went forward in D, through all gears. Tranny shop fixed it up for me. Band nut had backed itself off.
Yeah, I thought about dropping the pan and seeing what might fall out of it lol. Mine is still going forward but right now it's not going forward in D all that good.

I had a similar issue with reverse in my 93 Ram. Started acting like it was trying to lock up in reverse. Turns out the bands needed adjusting, and the trans cooler in the radiatior had stopped up. I flushed out the lines, and had to bypass the cooler and install an aftermarket cooler in front of the radiator. New filter, and adjusted the bands to spec, and now is working again.

Dealing with this on my wife’s ‘03 Ram.. For now I am thinking it could be the TPS.. Feels like driving over rumble strips when going into overdrive and down shifting.. Gonna start with that as at 1800rpms it’s revving all over the place when driving…

Auto Transport Service
Back