• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

430 rear gears

Lenny Arsenault

Local time
9:56 PM
Reaction score
I saw a set of 430 gears for sale 2,000 street miles he says; in a 489 case heavy duty nodular iron,7290 yoke with powerlock posi says excellent condition built by Randy's ring and pinion. is this anygood? I have a 440 490HP and 536ft.lbs. torque 3000 stall I am thinking this will get my 3900 lb. car moving. but, can it be street driven?

430s seem a little steep for the street. Depends on your setup and the type of drivingyyou're doing. I think 355 and maybe 373 for the street tops.

I have 323 gears now and feels like Im pulling a trailer behind me, could it be the TCI 3000 stall converter doing this? I thought I could run these gears for the steet but, the car has a hard time untill I stomp on the gas peddal so Im thinking more gear will take care of that and also get it going down the track a lot quicker. Maybe its to much but, it will sure be fun not really going for long distance either.

in my charger my .509 cam loved that gear with 28" tires. drove it that way for 15 or so summers

Seems a bit much for street driving, but it would probably be a hell of a lot of fun. Definitely wouldn't recommend getting out on the highway too much.

If you have 30" tires and drive under 45 most places, go for it. Or, if you don't care about engine wear, your hearing, or gas mileage, do it. Otherwise prob not a good idea. From personal experience 4.10s w/ a 28" tire gets old real fast w/ no OD...knock the wind outta ya from a dig, but that's when gas was cheap. Now, 3.73s would be deepest I'd go in a similar setup.

Is this a daily driver? If so, then no but if it's a toy, go for it! I used to run 4.56's not too long ago.....and they were fun lol

Yup! Im all for the fun but, will the tranny still feel like im hauling a trailer? just wondering cause im not use to high stall converters

3000 ain't sheeet. Put the 4.30 in it and stomp it and it won't feel like you're pulling anything. Even with the 3.23's, it should still go pretty good but the biggest problem sounds to me is you're driving it too slow with the 3.23's. If you're doing around 30-35 a lot, pull it into 2nd gear and put around like that then it won't feel so mushy.

Aw! Thanks Cranky I see the lights coming on now Yes! it does go pretty well when I stomp on it so that sounds normal then and that makes me feel better that I understand the issue here.

4.30....that same gear was in my 340 cuda for like 4 years before it went in the charger..the cuda was a daily driver..I went with 3.23 in the charger last summer and cant stand it.

I run 4.10's with a 30" tire and I'm doing about 60 to 65 at 3000 RPM's and I love em. Really woke the car up off the line vs the old 3.23's. Of course, mine's just a local cruiser, no long distances for me. 4.30's with a 28" tire will put you under 60 at 3000 RPM's, I calculate 58 mph. But with tire direction, probably 55 or so. Hell, you posted this in the racers hang out, so should be just fine. :)

Performance 101, converter & gears, good tires, free flowing exhaust & fuel systems, good heads, good valve-train, good ignition, traction aid of some kind... All part of the formula... IMHFO them gears will really wake up a wedge, they help a heavy car move, 3.91:1-4.10:1 with less tire or even 4.30:1 with the right tire shouldn't be all that bad, if it's not a freeway cruiser really, but if you staying/driving around town mostly, I'd say go for it... with my strokers I loved the 3.73:1 gears, 3800+ stall, it would haul the mail, if it's closer to a stock engine the lower gear ratio {higher numerically} acts like a torque multiplier, the old adage was a 10:1 final ratio in 1st gear times your rear gear, good street formula, for a decent combo... example TF-727 w/2.47:1 low gear & a 4.10:1 rear gear = 10.127:1 final ratio in 1st gear... I'd suggest getting the tallest/widest tire you can fit without rubbing too, the 4.30:1, will act/feel like a 3.90-4.10:1... there are many calculators on the w w w, Google tire, gear or rpm calculators, to see what your rpm will be approx., with what tire size you want... good luck what ever you decide

I'd suggest getting the tallest/widest tire you can fit without rubbing too, the 4.30:1, will act/feel like a 3.90-4.10:1... there are many calculators on the w w w, Google tire, gear or rpm calculators, to see what your rpm will be approx., with what tire size you want... good luck what ever you decide

Good point, bud, my 4:10's and 30" tires calculate to be about identical to 3:73's and a 28" tire. BIG difference, so plan the tire and gear together.

Ok! so if I don't get the 430 gears I will most likely go with 4:10's and have some built. So next question is what sort of internals, suregrip, powerlock, bearings stuff for street and strip. Thanks everyone for the info.

I'm always on a tight budget, so for me, the diff between 4.10's and 4.30's was negligible, depended entirely on the deal I found. According to calculations, thediff between the two amounts to 1" in tire diameter, or 1/2" in radius. So probably amounts to airing up the tires a couple extra lbs for the street.

I like tall tires for this sort of thing. They seem to be easier to hook. Smaller tires once they are spinning hard tend to take more time to make them recover. At least they seem that way to me. I ran 275-60-15 BFG Comp TA's on my very mild motor (nearly stock) 340 Cuda with the 56's and it usually blew em off if I hammered it off the line (street) but all I had to do was stick it in 2nd and they would hook up so I pretty much put the shifter in second from the get go and let it go into second right away. Thought about putting in a manual valve body because of that but never did.

Last edited:
I have a 4.30 and a spool! 3900 lb Roadrunner i street drive it but at 50 mph i'm at 3000 rpm,s. I run a 28 in tall tire. No road trips for me but that's why they have trailers. I also have to run 100 octane so a 30 mile cruise cost me about $80. in gas.

Or, put in a modern OD trans and put whatever you want in it. This is the 21st century, you can have your cake and eat it too.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a 4.30 and a spool! 3900 lb Roadrunner i street drive it but at 50 mph i'm at 3000 rpm,s. I run a 28 in tall tire. No road trips for me but that's why they have trailers. I also have to run 100 octane so a 30 mile cruise cost me about $80. in gas.

Yikes. Drive that car much?

Auto Transport Service
Back