• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 6-BBL carb questions

drinkingdiesel

Local time
7:01 PM
Reaction score
I have a float bowl on center carb with stripped threads. I have located a replacement bowl.

Is it easier to remove front carb and pull the center bowl off to replace? Or just pull the center carb off itself and do it that way?

Also...have read various opinions from previous posts, but what is the consensus on float height when it is done? Trickle out? Bump fender and it sloshes out? What's the height for center carb?

17139038631603947537794852847176.jpg

Just pull the center carb. Fuel level to the bottom of the hole. If you replace the base gasket, make sure that it is the same as the one that you replaced. Also check that at wot, the blades are not interfering with the gasket.

You need to pull the rear carb off first to access the center carb. Float level is at the bottom of the sight hole. Just about to trickle out.

Well, I know 100% for sure, the center carb won’t come off by itself with the front/back carb installed. I’ve always taken off the front carb first, then center. You don’t really need to unbolt the center carb’s baseplate. Just remove the fuel lines & front carb and you’ll have access to the center bowl. It’s a common problem. IF you cannot find a center six pack bowl (? try Chicago Carburetor) you can modify a standard front 4 bbl bowl to work if you had to. I’ve realized this over the years. I run all my float with fuel right at the bottom of the hole…bump the car and it dribbles out. I’ve seen other people adjust their bowls differently though

If you have bolts holding it down, you can slide the center carb out the driver side.
1713911012156.png

Well, I know 100% for sure, the center carb won’t come off by itself with the front/back carb installed. I’ve always taken off the front carb first, then center. You don’t really need to unbolt the center carb’s baseplate. Just remove the fuel lines & front carb and you’ll have access to the center bowl. It’s a common problem. IF you cannot find a center six pack bowl (? try Chicago Carburetor) you can modify a standard front 4 bbl bowl to work if you had to. I’ve realized this over the years. I run all my float with fuel right at the bottom of the hole…bump the car and it dribbles out. I’ve seen other people adjust their bowls differently though
Thanks, this is about what I figured. I'm going to pull the front, leave the center in place, pull it's float bowl and switch the bowls.

While we are kinda on the subject, is it supposed to be a PCV valve in the valve cover on passengers side? This is the way I got the car, it's just some sort of a 90° fitting and goes to bottom of middle carb.
1000002175.jpg

The center carb will come out without removing either one of the end carbs. Have done it numerous times.

Just pull the center carb. Fuel level to the bottom of the hole. If you replace the base gasket, make sure that it is the same as the one that you replaced. Also check that at wot, the blades are not interfering with the gasket.
This is the way I've always done it.....pull center carb if/when necessary.....no big deal....always use a new gasket when reinstalling.....I always spray the new gasket with silicon spray to facilitate removal next time.....my car is a RS23V0A****** '70 GTX......
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back