• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 Block Casting Question

Ghosty

Local time
11:27 PM
Reaction score
Sorry if this gets asked a lot. I tried going through many threads and searches first, including 440source.com & the casting page on MoParts.org. Obviously I haven't seen many of these ID pads, heh. This is what the seller sent me.

What do you make of this 440 stamping? I see it's a '67 block. My paranoid side is wondering about how the "HP" looks all wonky (or do they sometimes look like that?), and the first "4" in 440 looking different than the 2nd "4". Also what does the "2 14" stand for? I must not be using the right keywords on my searches. Tia...

BlockID1crop_zps0b3dfcfc.jpg

Last edited:
Looks to me like it says 2 14 to the left of H P. May be the date it was built. Looks like a 67 440 High Performance engine. The double stamping on the 440 is normal. What heads come with it? Should be 2780 915. The famous 915 head.

Thanks Gary! Dunno about the heads or the motor VIN yet. But if it looks kosher than I guess you're right, a '67 440 "Magnum or SuperCommando", stamped during the first shift on Valentine's Day? Hahaa.

On the stamping remember they were hand stamped. So you'll see offset characters all the time. So I wouldn't worry to much about the P being offset ("wonky")
Ok cool, wasn't sure how they stamped. Since this is a once-in-a-great-while large purchase I'm covering all my bases, down to the nitty gritty. My paranoid brain envisions some scam where they ground down the face on some cheap non-HP block, polish that pad, and re-stamp, lol. I need to not overthink things so much, lol. Obviously doing something that ridiculous is more trouble than it's worth anyway, what's the point.

Sorry for posting this in two places. When it didn't show up in the 'Engines' tech forum, I assumed it disappeared because of network lag or something. Didn't know about the 'moderator approval' for n0obs.

Sweet, thx. Never knew they were hand-stamped, we always envisioned some big machine on the assembly line, haha. But then you see motors hanging from chains on an overhead track too, so...

So the only difference (in '67 anyway) between HP and non-HP is the compression ratio? So just the pistons, possibly head chambers, etc.? I'll poke around...

Anybody can stamp anything on that engine pad. Get the seller to send you a pic of the casting numbers and date off the block sides.

ALL of the 1967 440 s had the 915 head. Even the Newports and Monaco's. But most had the 1.6 ex valve. The H P 440 s such as the GTX and R/T had the 915 heads with a 1.74 ex valve.

Thanks Gary. I found a lot of tech info at that 440source.com site.

Anybody can stamp anything on that engine pad. Get the seller to send you a pic of the casting numbers and date off the block sides.
I'm not to worried about it Lee, but I'll have the mechanic pull that number. Thanks.

Auto Transport Service
Back