• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 block cracked engine mount

patp

Local time
8:57 AM
Reaction score
I have a 440 block (1970 cast date) but the engine mount is broken. I had heard that this was common on this block and design was later changed to beef up that ear. I was told that it is not that critical, but......

Do I need to repair?

I f so what is best technique?

hard say to repair or run it without knowing how much damage.

Picture?

Driver side?

Passenger side?

Will a torque strap suffice?

Check trans mount?

One ear was broken on this one,took one off an old block,had a friend that "knew" how to weld repair it,I would defy you to tell which ear was broken.All you need is someone who "knows" how to weld cast iron.

Attachments

• Picture 638.jpg
    Picture 638.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 291
i cracked the lower mount in the starter hole area when i was putting my block on the engine stand.

i had the piece which was good cuz i had the broken piece to start with.

i watched some videos on brazing on Youtube, then i went over to the Air Gas welding supply store and sweet talked the manager into giving me one, just one stick of small gauge Bronze and went home.

pulled out the Oxy/Acetylene and successfully brazed it back to the block, filled it down by hand, and repainted the block, went really well.

Block is at shop getting cleaned, will post a pic when I get it back.
thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back