• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 block stamp

mopar6976

Local time
9:24 AM
Reaction score
Can you tell me why there is a S 440 on my block id pad?? 440=ci s=1962 ???
I thought the 440 was introduced in 1965?! Is it a "s"pecial block? There is also a 4-3 2 stamped in and a tw= this is for a pressurecheck i think. Thanks for your help.....

A friend of mine also have the same block has casting 1969 top-pad says S 440

When the "S" is in front of the 440 it stands for "service replacement engine." Meaning it was built for parts warehouse inventory. It will have a blank V.I.N. pad and there is probably a rivet/rivet hole on the side of the block where the "service engine" tag was/is.

A highly sought after block for people that want to stamp it as a repo engine for their car as in "matching numbers.":bootyshake:

440 was introduced in 66'. Letter code for a 66' is "B"

440 was introduced in 66'. Letter code for a 66' is "B"

He is not saying it is a 65 engine just asking if introducted in 65 trying to make sence of the letters in relationship to a 62 which was an "S"

The 440 was first cast in 1965 for placement in 66 "C" body models.

I sometimes don't write what I am thinking. I guess I meant the 440 was introduced for the 66' model year so yes I guess you are right on the year (65'), my bad.

Oh I hope I can be forgiven by all you know it alls out there. It is hard to live in a world of perfect people. Show some mercy on us lowly common folk, PLEASE.

Auto Transport Service
Back