• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 CAM

junkpile

Local time
12:18 AM
Reaction score
Just looking for recommendations on a place to purchase a cam for my 440. I have heard conflicting stories on Comp Cams and mopar permformance in reguards to quality.

As mentioned by slepr1, Hughes Cams is the only one that is MOPAR-specific manufacturer and producer of cams for these rides. IMHO they are the only ones and all others pale in comparison including Comp and Edelbrock...cr8crshr/Bill :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :usflag::usflag::usflag:

Most flat tappet cams cores are cast at CWC in Michigan. Although not all are, you can look on the cam itself for CWC cast into it. So there is a strong possibility that the cams themselves are of similiar quality from different companies before they are ground. Most companies just grind the cam...they are not casting them. If there is a comp cam you like I would not be afraid of the cam itself.

I believe most Hughes cams you can pull right out of a Howards master lobe list? Yes they are mopar specific for a .904 lifter but several companies also make mopar fast rate cams. Some of the hughes grinds may make more power but not necessarily check every box of your build. They tend to be fairly aggressive and narrower LSA's. Hughes can be a great cam choice if it fits your application.

IMO..The challenge with hydr. flat tappets has been lifter quality more so then the cams themselves. Although we have also seen bad cams I consider it rare. Imo.. Best quality option for new hydraulic lifters are Johnson hy-lift or have old lifters resurfaced, or find old stock from 20 years ago. You can take your chances with lifters from comp or other companies. May break in fine or may not? Most are cast overseas to make them affordable. You can usually tell the difference in price.. American made is usually more money. But it just takes one lifter to ruin your day w any cam. No idea who does mopar performance stuff anymore. Ran lots of their cams 20+ years ago.

Last edited:
I’ve had good service with MP Purpleshafts and Herbert Cams.

I am replacing the cam. Question about break-in oil? I use Valvoline 10-30. Yes or no?

Thanks

Skunk2 is owned by
speedpro (TRW).
The cam I used in my 440.
It's an older grind, but
performs well, I'm happy
with it, and it hasn't cratered
due to poor workmanship
or sub-par materials.
Don't get caught up in the
hype. Lesser named or
obscure brand names
can perform just as good
or better. Do your
homework.
As an example....Wilwood
4 piston calipers work and
they sure are pretty. But I
can spec out a braking
system for a fraction of
Wilwoods' cost that
performs just as well
when the ultimate objective
is to stop the car. Bragging
rights take a back seat
when it comes to my
wallet.

Last edited:
A lot of us have been having good luck with Lunati. I haven't liked any of the Comp cams that I've used. MP used to be good but that was decades ago.

We use hundreds of Comp Cams camshafts, lifters, FAST items etc every year with no major issues. However, with anything aftermarket there will be something incorrect, defective or just broken on occasion. Most will always stand behind their products.
I have a Comp XE292 Hyd. F.T. camshafts in one of my 440's with over 55,000 miles on it so far never with any issues and I drive it everywhere.
I always break my Hyd. F.T. cams in on the outer springs only and with good oil with break in additive. After break in, I add the damper/inner springs. I also just use conventional 10W30 (nothing fancy). Whatever is on sale....

I would venture to say
the biggest issues, especially with hydraulic flat tappet cams
is improper break-in
the 15-25 minutes at 2000+ rpm after it's up to temp,
& sustaining that rpm for 15 min.s at running temps
to have it heat cycle properly, then fully cool off again,
before restarting

1st time driving it afterward, don't sustain a constant RPM,
vary it for a the 1st few miles/10-20 at a min.

Then using hi-zinc break-in oil is good too

I've had Great luck with Lunati, Crane, Racer Brown,
'old org.' Direct Connection Purple shaft series
a couple MoPar Performance & even Comp cams too, in MoPars

We use hundreds of Comp Cams camshafts, lifters, FAST items etc every year with no major issues. However, with anything aftermarket there will be something incorrect, defective or just broken on occasion. Most will always stand behind their products.
I have a Comp XE292 Hyd. F.T. camshafts in one of my 440's with over 55,000 miles on it so far never with any issues and I drive it everywhere.
I always break my Hyd. F.T. cams in on the outer springs only and with good oil with break in additive. After break in, I add the damper/inner springs. I also just use conventional 10W30 (nothing fancy). Whatever is on sale....
Smiley big green check mark.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back