• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 crank with bearing not bushing for 4 speed

etraister

Local time
1:04 PM
Reaction score
I have a 440 with a bearing on the end of the crank. Can I install a 4 speed or do I need to have it drilled for bushing see pics
20230407_134950.jpg

20230407_134923.jpg

That is a newer bearing that started being used in the early 90s. so it isn't original to that engine. It should work for you as well. But as it's apart, you may as well install a new one, they don't cost very much. Do a search on that FC69907 part number.

The bearing is OK but the crank may not be drilled deep enough for an unmodified A833 input shaft.

It should work with a 4 speed if the hole is deep enough that the input shaft doesn't bottom out. Some automaticc cranks aren't drilled deep enough or to a large enough diameter for a bushing and the alternative is cutting off the end of the input shaft and using a bearing like in the pic.

Take a look at this diagram, it might help. If you do the math 8.625 -7.160, looks like you need at least 1.46 past the end of the bearing to fit an uncut input shaft.

PILOT-BUSHING-DRAWING.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the input I'm pretty sure I have a deep enough hole for the shaft. I'll check on a new bearing

Thanks everyone for the input I'm pretty sure I have a deep enough hole for the shaft. I'll check on a new bearing
Brewer Performance has them in stock.

I think you're good with what you have there, that crank looks like it was drilled but not finished reamed for a stock bushing. The timkin bearing that is installed will do the job.

Auto Transport Service
Back