• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 cylinder position

adk-roadrunner

Local time
2:09 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys so I'm in the process of assembling my 440 for my 73 roadrunner and have a question about cylinder position. I purchased a book called how to rebuild the big block mopar by a few guys on this forum. While looking at some spec sheets in the book I found the one for cylinder position as I'm preparing to install my pistons. I found that the picture is going against what I thought and wanted to make sure. The book shows the book shows from front back left side 8 6 4 2 and right side front to back 7 5 3 1. I thought it was left front to back 1 3 5 7 and right front to back 2 4 6 8. IMG_20150722_172922.jpgIMG_20150722_172831.jpg

I always remember it as the opposite of reading a book, right to left...
chevy 350 is the same way as a lot of other v's, but not all, ford is the way you are thinking left to right for example the 302 v8 is exactly how you are thinking, but you have a mopar, lol...

Edit now that the picture is larger I can see its backwards..

Last edited:
The above picture is wrong. Front of block (timing chain end) on left side (driver's side) is 1 3 5 7. Distributor side front to back is 2 4 6 8. Distributor rotates CCW from top.

Yikes ...That picture is not correct. Flip the engine 180 ...

Distributor rotation is CCW.

Your picture is backwards. No.1 is on drivers side front. Numbering is correct,you just have engine block turned 180 degrees. Your picture is of a small block, rotation on big block is backwards of small block. Wires are backwards.

That's what I mean 1 and 2 are by bell housing as distributor hole is on the right of picture or front of engine

- - - Updated - - -

The picture isn't mine that's the picture out of the book so I'm right and the book is wrong it had me very confused

- - - Updated - - -

The pic is a big block as bell housing is on left and dizzy hole on right or front just the book numbered them wrong

Big blocks have the dizzy at the front of the block....#1 being on the driver's side front.....and #2 is passenger side front.

That must be why my cars only smoke both wheels HALF way through the 1/4. LOL

Yup I thought they were backwards that's why I posted. The book came highly recommended so it had me confused

Doesn't anybody proofread these, before they go to print... with obvious, elementary errors !?!

Makes you wonder what else is wrong in the book. Just me but that book would be in the trash. At the least, get a new different book to compare to what you've already done.
440 ll.JPG

you might want to have some one with you that has a little experience to help you on this

20150722_202013.jpg lol I'll be ok it's not the first engine I've assembled just the first 440. This is just one piece of reference material I've used and for the most part it was pretty good, but as soon as I looked at that picture I knew something wasn't right lol. The people on this forum and some other people I know in the mopar community are always so helpful. I got all the slugs in everything is going good it's been a long time coming and hopefully everything continues to go smoothly. Thanks

Hey guys so I'm in the process of assembling my 440 for my 73 roadrunner and have a question about cylinder position. I purchased a book called how to rebuild the big block mopar by a few guys on this forum. While looking at some spec sheets in the book I found the one for cylinder position as I'm preparing to install my pistons. I found that the picture is going against what I thought and wanted to make sure. The book shows the book shows from front back left side 8 6 4 2 and right side front to back 7 5 3 1. I thought it was left front to back 1 3 5 7 and right front to back 2 4 6 8. View attachment 267969View attachment 267970
What guys on this forum wrote the book?? They should contact the editor and publisher to get those pics corrected if they ever do a second printing.

Not sure if somone on this forum wrote the book or not it was just recommended to me a couple years ago when I decided to build an engine.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure if somone on this forum wrote the book or not it was just recommended to me a couple years ago when I decided to build an engine. This is the guy that wrote the book and they are published I believe by car tech books. 20150723_082024.jpg

For future reference with any production V-8 the #1 cylinder will always be the forward most cylinder. On big block mopar it is forward most on front of driver side as example.

On small block ford its forward most on passenger side front.

One of my uncles showed me this years ago.

Wow, that's a major mistake to slip through the cracks on that book. You would think the author would've seen a proof before it was published and raised a stink about it.

The distributor showing clockwise bothers me, that can be a big problem.
Found that out when I built my first motor at 17. Took a while and ask a lot of questions.

Auto Transport Service
Back