• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 Engine numbers decoding

Local time
11:47 PM
Reaction score
Hi All,
Just joined, I’m from England.

Looking for some info on a couple of 440 engines.

Over here they are very rare to come across,

Been offered a 1968 440 block.

But I cannot identify it, owner claims it came from a 68 charger.

Engine casting number is right.

The engine block serial number is PT440P23736050,

PT points to coming from the right plant, Trenton

The P after the 440 I didn’t think the engine should have a letter there?

Have been told if it had an S in the engine number means Hi performance?
but a P perhaps Police??

Front pad is D440 =68, date code looks right.

But top of picture by drilling looks like a C, could be LC (low compression) was told a wrong way round C could indicate 6 pack block but no HP stamp on pad?

The owner is a few hundred miles away so not easy to pop over to look at, and he is not a car man.

Was it only the RT 440 stamped HP and the standard charger 440 not stamped HP?

I Have a 68 RT charger, it was a one owner from Texas.

It Came to England back in the late 80s.
My Charger had an block swap before it came here, it’s got a 1970 440 in it non HP. Carb heads etc correct 68
so was looking at this block as it’s a 68.
Just trying to decide if it’s worth getting and maybe swapping in the future as unlikely to see one over here again. Or just keep my 1970 block?

It’s hard to decode you read one thing on the net then something contradicts it and your back at square one.
Few books I have don’t really break it down enough.

And as you can appreciate these cars and blocks are rare to find over this side of the pond.

Any help, ideas would be great

Thanks all

s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg

Hi All,

Looking for some info on a couple of 440 engines.

Over here they are very rare to come across,

Been offered a 1968 440 block.

But I cannot identify it, owner claims it came from a 68 charger.

Engine casting number is right.

PT points to coming from the right plant, Trenton

The P after the 440 I didn’t think the engine should have a letter there?

but a P perhaps Police??

But top of picture by drilling looks like a C, could be LC (low compression) was told a wrong way round C could indicate 6 pack block but no HP stamp on pad?

The owner is a few hundred miles away so not easy to pop over to look at, and he is not a car man.

I Have a 68 RT charger, it was a one owner from Texas.

It Came to England back in the late 80s.
My Charger had an block swap before it came here, it’s got a 1970 440 in it non HP. Carb heads etc correct 68
so was looking at this block as it’s a 68.
Just trying to decide if it’s worth getting and maybe swapping in the future as unlikely to see one over here again. Or just keep my 1970 block?

It’s hard to decode you read one thing on the net then something contradicts it and your back at square one.
Few books I have don’t really break it down enough.

And as you can appreciate these cars and blocks are rare to find over this side of the pond.

Any help, ideas would be great

Thanks all

View attachment 521818 View attachment 521819 View attachment 521820
2536430 simply is 66-72 440 engine

PT is trenton plant

I believe the rest is a sequence number?

Can’t really make out the “c” in the picture but that could be a stamp from a machine shop.

Im sure someone else will chime in that might be able to verify

Hi All,

but a P perhaps Police??

View attachment 521818 View attachment 521819 View attachment 521820

P = premium fuel
C = unknown but often erroneously reported as "6 pack block". There is no such thing. A block is a block is a block.
No HP stamp on pad = from a C body; not an R/T or GTX.

Ask the seller if there is a VIN on the back of the block near the oil sending unit.

PT440P23736050

First - Welcome!

PT - plant
P - premium fuel (I'm pretty sure but not 100% without looking it up)
2373 - 1/26/1968
6050 - sequence of engines built

Date is good from oil pan rail to stamp. My non-expert opinion is this is legit. This should also have a partial VIN on the top rear by oil sending port.

The C up on the rail isn't anything but something the assembler did. No value to the 'numbers' of the engine.

P = premium fuel
C = unknown but often erroneously reported as "6 pack block". There is no such thing. A block is a block is a block.
No HP stamp on pad = from a C body; not an R/T or GTX.

Ask the seller if there is a VIN on the back of the block near the oil sending unit.
Damn! You got me by a moment.

In my non-expert opinion, I don't see a good reason to swap from your '70 block. Non-matching is non-matching. Won't help the value at all, I don't believe. If it was a year correct HP engine, that would probably be a different story.

In my non-expert opinion, I don't see a good reason to swap from your '70 block. Non-matching is non-matching. Won't help the value at all, I don't believe. If it was a year correct HP engine, that would probably be a different story.

Hi, it wasn't so much about value, more if it was a charger block from 68 to try and keep as close as original as possible.
(I'm a bit funny like that)
Not sure what a HP 68 block would cost your side of the pond, but would most probably cost the same again to ship here plus our lovely government would want a share, import taxes, VAT.

Greetings, would appreciate a decode on these numbers.

PT440S23151026
D440 11 29HP

Greetings, would appreciate a decode on these numbers.

PT440S23151026
D440 11 29HP

"S" = Special = HP cam
2315 = 10,000 day calendar date = Wednesday November 29, 1967 assembly date
11 29 on pad = November 29th (1967) assembly date in different date format.

68_Engine_Decode_600.jpg

Hi

Another UK member with the same question. I have tried searching on the web, but the numbers on my block seem a bit different?

They are:

4T440 EHP

4C 13338

3 11

From what I have found so far the "440" is the size (which it is), "E" is a cast crank (which it has), and I think the "3 11" is March 3rd. Do they sound right?

What I don't know is what the "HP" stands for (High Power?). If it is a High Power, what does that mean, or what is the difference?

What does the "4C" mean? Is it the plant code?

I think the 13338 may be a year code, but I can't work it out?

If it's any help, it has the large "Figure of 8" cooling passages from the block to the heads.

Thanks for your help!

IMG_20170228_113224519.jpg

Hi

Another UK member with the same question. I have tried searching on the web, but the numbers on my block seem a bit different?

They are:

4T440 EHP

4C 13338

3 11

From what I have found so far the "440" is the size (which it is), "E" is a cast crank (which it has), and I think the "3 11" is March 3rd. Do they sound right?

What I don't know is what the "HP" stands for (High Power?). If it is a High Power, what does that mean, or what is the difference?

What does the "4C" mean? Is it the plant code?

I think the 13338 may be a year code, but I can't work it out?

If it's any help, it has the large "Figure of 8" cooling passages from the block to the heads.

Thanks for your help!

View attachment 938474
don't know if it is too late but just got here.....after all these years...

4T440 EHP.....means: 1974- Trenton plant- 440ci- cast crank- High Performance
4C13338 means: 1974- Jefferson St. assy plant - #13,338 engine
3 11 means: it was made on Mar 11

Auto Transport Service
Back