• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 engine

kenny jones

Local time
7:50 AM
Reaction score
i have a 70 440 hp vin number OB178675 DATE CODE 10/28/69 SIX PACK RODS AND DAMPER any way to figure out what car this would have been in by the vin number? thanks

Put the partial VIN in you title, someone will be along that can answer your question.

with the gernric title of “440 engine“ it could be your aunt Edna’s Newport has the cold lamp out. LOL

I'm no help with the VIN number aspect.... Keep in mind, lots of 6-pack bottom ends 70 and later went in trucks too.

I'm no help with the VIN number aspect.... Keep in mind, lots of 6-pack bottom ends 70 and later went in trucks too.
Even with the taller pistons? Or just the crank and rods?

I was under the impression that the 440 with 6 pack rods and damper went in the R/T. The 440 Magnum (HP). I am not positive, but recall that from rebuilding mine...and no, I didnt sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night. In other words...I could be incorrect (I know, shocker...right ?).

Not to worry, the folks that know beyond a doubt will chime in shortly.

My '68 440 is an oil field pump motor
with 6-pack rods....no stampings on
the block at all.

It must have been rebuilt at some time. Even the 1969 6-pack engines had regular rods, the 6-pack rods started in 1970.
It probably was as it was a field service
engine. The local builder that serviced
the engines in this area knew mopars
well, and treated his customers over
and above. I actually chose this
engine still attached to the pump it
drove. These engines saw severe duty
and the oilfield customers weren't
shy about paying for repairs that
would prolong an engines life.
Wish I had a camera back then as the
builder had at least 50 retired 440's
sitting in his yard.
I've always been curious though, as
all of these engines were painted grey.
Was that a standard Mopar color for
a field service engine?

It probably was as it was a field service
engine. The local builder that serviced
the engines in this area knew mopars
well, and treated his customers over
and above. I actually chose this
engine still attached to the pump it
drove. These engines saw severe duty
and the oilfield customers weren't
shy about paying for repairs that
would prolong an engines life.
Wish I had a camera back then as the
builder had at least 50 retired 440's
sitting in his yard.
I've always been curious though, as
all of these engines were painted grey.
Was that a standard Mopar color for
a field service engine?
I don't know for sure, but I've run across two flathead six Chrysler industrial engines - one in a front end loader and one for marine use, and they were grey.

I don't know for sure, but I've run across two flathead six Chrysler industrial engines - one in a front end loader and one for marine use, and they were grey.

This pic was the initial fit up of the
engine to it's new home. The builder
repainted it to match the existing grey
color.
20190108_143857.jpg

Even with the taller pistons? Or just the crank and rods?
Good question.... I have'nt torn one down in a while... they would have to balance still, so??

Bigger question is what are KennyJones pistons?? Flat tops with the four small reliefs??

what plant designation is "B"? and what cars were built there in 1970? ........is about as close as you are going to get

... built there in 1970
The list I have shows A & E bodies. E Body is certainly plausible; I'd have to look at the ordering info as to "which" A Bodies might have had a 440 available?...seems they weren't?

1970 Hamtramck
Dart/Swinger/Swinger340/Custom
Valiant
Barracuda/`Cuda (exc. convertible)
Challender & R/T

"which" A Bodies might have had a 440 available?...seems they weren't?
No "A" body of any year had a 440 available as far as I have ever known. Certainly not '70 or after. Even the "M" code Darts were really 383 cars retrofitted after they left the Chrysler factory, if I'm remembering right. Hopefully someone will chime in on that tidbit..... I always thought they were done like Holman-Moody (SVT) did for Fords??? But who?, Grand Spaulding Dodge??

Last edited:
The list I have shows A & E bodies. E Body is certainly plausible; I'd have to look at the ordering info as to "which" A Bodies might have had a 440 available?...seems they weren't?

1970 Hamtramck
Dart/Swinger/Swinger340/Custom
Valiant
Barracuda/`Cuda (exc. convertible)
Challender & R/T
Not for. 70 but they did in 69 “M” code but Mr Norm installed his own in 68 GSS

Auto Transport Service
Back