• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8/69 casting 440 block…proper date for car and value?

TexasRoadRunner68

Local time
6:10 AM
Reaction score
My 70 is a late year car (7/70), I’m assuming this casting would be much too early for the car to be “date correct”. It had six pack rods and the six pack balancer with the lower compression non- six pack pistons.

It is standard bore, cylinders look pretty decent. I have yet to have it cleaned and magnafluxed.

What’s something like this worth with the crank?

89DC5B91-9210-433E-B43E-FD819D838982.jpeg

E9624ED6-7B75-4AC5-BD32-2D5AF62566B7.jpeg

Yeah. I think the number nazi’s like to see 3 months or less. Yet they are OK with 75% 2020 Asian sheet metal. Personally, I think the later 440’s are better. 1/4” thicker motor mount ears, and the figure 8 cooling passages. Anyway, it predates the build… so it passes for me.

Its cast date is for a 70. It's standard bore and has good internals so it sounds like a keeper to me. Value, what's it worth to you. Personally I would use it, as the standard bore is worth more to me than the 3-4 months needed to be date correct in others eyes. It will never be matching numbers, but is a 70 or F 440.

If I were to list it, what would be a decent asking price for the block and crank?
Like you mentioned before, start at $1000. That sounds a bit steep for just a block and crank but you never know. You can always come down in price and sell for less. It's a early 70 block for those that might want a "date code correct" engine.

Fwiw my numbers matching block was cast 3/67 but wasn't assembled until 4/68, so it can vary more than just a few months for whatever reason they had at that time. When I had the engine out for the first time in '05 while cleaning it, other than the hand painted letters for each cylinder there was a hand written 67 on the driver's side towards the rear of the block.

Last edited:
Fwiw my numbers matching block was cast 3/67 but wasn't assembled until 4/68, so it can vary more than just a few months for whatever reason they had at that time.
Because they stacked thousands and thousands of castings outside to cure. First in was last out!

Exactly, it's more about the assembly date than cast date.
What's the pad say?

Auto Transport Service
Back