• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 exhaust and steering column interference...

GassMann

Local time
1:01 PM
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am finishing up my 1966 Charger. I swapped out the original 318 for a 440. I have standard exhaust installed and I the column knuckle to the steering gearbox is just touching... clips the exhaust as the wheel turns.

Is there a problem with the steering joint or do I need to change the column connector knuckle???

1675017268562.png

I don't have an answer for this.
But I'd be worried about the seal on the coupler as it's going to get pretty hot that close.

That is a C body manifold. Chrysler never put one of those on a B body because they interfere with the column.

b body std and HP manifolds dump in the rear area circled in blue, see all the room there? That’s what it’s for.

3769BDB6-DED9-4370-B3E6-64F764C611F7.jpeg

AH... That's my problem then. It is a 1966 Charger. I have hauled this car around since I was 16 and when I finally could afford to rebuild it, I moved from the 318 to a 440... 67 block. So I need to find a exhaust for a 440 b-body :(

AH... That's my problem then. It is a 1966 Charger. I have hauled this car around since I was 16 and when I finally could afford to rebuild it, I moved from the 318 to a 440... 67 block. So I need to find a exhaust for a 440 b-body :(
Easy. Any big block b body , 66-70 .

You can you get a coupler from Flaming River or Borgenson.

DSC02052.JPG

That would definitely be the answer. I will look for one.

Hey @GassMann could you somehow get the chrysler part number off the side of that manifold and let us know?

That is a C body manifold. Chrysler never put one of those on a B body because they interfere with the column.

b body std and HP manifolds dump in the rear area circled in blue, see all the room there? That’s what it’s for.

View attachment 1409823
That's the answer thank you.

Did you have exhaust pipes made yet? If not get a pair of B-body HP manifolds.

Auto Transport Service
Back