• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 flywheel & clutch questions

Mike in Boston

Local time
8:24 PM
Reaction score
For a 76' 440 with cast crank in a 67'charger:

I'm getting an 11" bellhousing with A833 4 speed.
I am missing the flywheel/clutch/pressure plate/throw out bearing.

What is the difference between the flywheels for forged crank vs cast crank?
If they are balanced for cast cranks, wouldn't they need to be installed in a certain position and how is that determined?
Also a recommendation for a place to buy the clutch/pressure plate/bearing kit
Thanks

cast crank flywheel will have additional weight. is your crank drilled for a pilot bushing?

The cast crank flywheel will be drilled to balance with the 440 cast crank engine, and will bolt onto the crankshaft only one way as some of the bolt holes won't even line up if it isn't placed correctly.

If you are just waking up the old 440 you can get a clutch assembly at NAPA.

Summit racing has many selections as does Jegs.

I would plan for the future with a quality assembly.

If you have not re-balanced the engine, it sounds like you need to make SURE you get the correct flywheel. I'm not an expert on '76 cast crank motors, but 440's with the six pack rods are balanced at BOTH the harmonic balancer and the flywheel. I "think" automatics get a weight on the flex plate (or maybe converter)???

Hmmm..... did they even make cast-crank 4spd 440's? I thought the 4-spd motors (only) got forged cranks & 4spd's ended in '74? I'm not sure if a cast-crank 4spd flywheel exists?

I suggest you research the topic very carefully. Are there weights on cast-crank 440 automatic's in '74 on the flexplate/converter? Hopefully those motors have ALL the balance in the harmonic balancer & there are no extra weights on the flex plate/converter. If that's the case, you can use a neutral balanced flywheel.

fyi - for stock bellhousings, you have to match the flywheel size with the bellhousing & the flywheel determines your clutch choices. I've been very happy with Centerforce clutches.

For a 76' 440 with cast crank in a 67'charger:

I'm getting an 11" bellhousing with A833 4 speed.
I am missing the flywheel/clutch/pressure plate/throw out bearing.

What is the difference between the flywheels for forged crank vs cast crank?
If they are balanced for cast cranks, wouldn't they need to be installed in a certain position and how is that determined?

The offset bolt hole determines the orientation of the flywheel on the crank flange.
The Mopar Chassis book has information on this.
Brewer's Performance is a great resource.

Get rid of the clutch linkage, go hydraulic tb! So much more room!

I just test drive my 69' Dart GT 383 4 spd and the clutch is soooo easy to use. I'll never go back to linkage again!

I'll get the part number for the McLeod it has a removable weight for cast crank motors and of course leave it off for forged crank motors. It's what I use on my engine run stand for big block mopes

IMG_3274.JPG

Get rid of the clutch linkage, go hydraulic tb! So much more room!
If you don't have all the correct clutch linkage, fork and pivot, this may be a good way to eliminate a lot of head banging!..............................MO

I'll get the part number for the McLeod it has a removable weight for cast crank motors and of course leave it off for forged crank motors. It's what I use on my engine run stand for big block mopes

View attachment 391169
Another source for this bolt on , simple method for cast or forged crank is from "440 Source" Manufactured other than USA , but low priced and I was impressed with mine...........................MO

Car is all assembled and kicking ***.
I used Brewers for the flywheel, clutch and all related parts. They really know their stuff.
Motor is a 1975 440 with whiplash cam, edelbrock intake, edelbrock 850 carb. Summit headers, 1975 A833 cast iron overdrive, 3:91 gears.
Reverse arm O-ring is dripping but other than that it's turn key daily driver. Rain or shine
20170414_180612.jpg
20170319_210621.jpg
20170131_074702.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back