• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 HP est opinion??

Longknife

Local time
1:28 AM
Reaction score
What would you estimate the HP of this engine? Thanks, LK

The engine is a 76 truck 440 with 32,000 miles. I had the block ball honed and cleaned, and new cam bearings. It has new rings and bearings, and a new Melling HV/HP oil pump. New aluminum water pump housing and pump. The heads have been milled .030, port matched and had the bowls blended, and had a valve job. It has a Hughes whiplash cam lifters and valve springs. The cam specs are... .518/.518 lift
232/245 @.050. 107 lobe separation and 102 installed centerline. The headers are 1-7/8” primary with 3” exhaust and Dynomax race bullet mufflers. The intake is a new Edelbrock CH16 dual quad with the script removed and painted to look like a 1962 Chrysler 300 413. The carbs are 600 cfm Edelbrocks

My daughter's boyfriend runs a 76 truck with the original 440 reringed, edelbrock estreet heads and a 509 cam.. runs a 12.50.
You should be somewhere in the 450 horse arena I would think.

OK. My guess would be closer to 400HP. ruffcut
If he is lucky. Those pistons are down in the hole. They were about 230hp when new. compression is no more than 8 to 1 most likely a little less.

.160 in the hole. The intake is probably the cork in that whole operation.
My untouched 77 shortblock went 12.10s with 82cc 906s in a stock 64 dodge.
Would it go faster with 10.5:1? I'd hope so.

If he is lucky. Those pistons are down in the hole. They were about 230hp when new. compression is no more than 8 to 1 most likely a little less.
Yes, I knew it was low compression, but didn't know the pistons were so far in the hole! And 230 originally, wow! I was guessing low 300's when new.

Yes, I knew it was low compression, but didn't know the pistons were so far in the hole! And 230 originally, wow! I was guessing low 300's when new.
I think the 1977 440 was only 190 hp.

Remember after 72 hp figures were net instead of gross.
my guess would be close to 350.

We run that same intake and carbs on a friends 65 Belvedere. Stock street car, pump gas without mufflers. 10.0-1 measured comp, stock Eddy heads, ,557 Mopar purple solid,
1 3/4 headers, 4.10, good converter, 9x28 slicks. It has been as quick as 11.28@116. With worked 906 the compression was about 9.5-1. Best of 12.88@110 uncapped. Both cars are not stripped down and have full stock bench seat interiors. My bet is with enough gear and a decent converter your's will run very well.
Doug

I don't know the compression ratio. Here is more from the builder>

"The transmission is a A-833 with all new seals and gaskets. The shifter is a Hurst super competiton. It has a super rare factory cast steel race Hemi bellhousing. Only used in 65 and 68. The Clutch is a Ram street/Strip unit."The rear end is a 8-3/4” Chrysler with a 489 case. It has 3.91 gears a spool and mosher 30 spline axles. The rear suspension is quarter elliptic with the front half of the leaf being replaced by the ladder bars, and the rear part acting as the spring. It has a new heavy duty 3.5” driveshaft with spicer non serviceable joints.
It hooks through a pair of 28X10.5 Hoosier slicks."

Its all mounted in stripped down 47 Plymouth Coupe. I only was able to drive this about three miles to the shop but I tell you what it is pretty quick! I have to get it registered and licensed before I risk taking it out again,,,LK

Last edited:
I would guess 400-430 hp.

[1] HV oil pump is not needed & robbing the engine of a few HP...
[2] WhipTurd cam is very a poor choice for a low compression engine...
[3] Find another engine builder next time....

Super stock guys making season ending record setting runs put just enough oil in it to live till the finish line.
Saving a few robbed hp is penny foolish.

I researched on this site and found another member with a 440 with 7.5 comp ratio. Her used the smaller whiplash cam, a single four barrel and headers and he was able to Dyno it at 415 HP and 465 T. My engine has a larger cam, head work and dual quads so I am estimating my engine at ONE MILLION HORSE POWER!!!!!!,,,Of course I am deducting 2 HP for that power robbing oil pump!!!!
1680815429799.jpeg

What difference does it make? If it’s 350 hp, will you not like how it runs, but if it’s 450 hp you will?

Nobody can answer your question. Your power is not just the sum of the parts. Details matter.

If it really matters to you, take it to the track, collect some data, and report back. In the end, how the car actually runs at the track is the only performance data that matters, not head flow, not dyno results.

If not, just pick a hp number that makes you feel good and go with it. Nobody will know the difference.

Gotta keep in mind that dynos vary in HP numbers, you can take the same car with no changes to different dynos and have 50 HP difference. Some folks go "dyno shopping" for the one that will give them the biggest power numbers.
Best use for a dyno is tune and adjust for best gain on the same dyno.

Mark

I would guess 400-430 hp.

[1] HV oil pump is not needed & robbing the engine of a few HP...
[2] WhipTurd cam is very a poor choice for a low compression engine...
[3] Find another engine builder next time....
Watch the new Engine Masters, the oil pump coasting HP is a Myth they busted

I have a somewhat similar build. I use the ch26 with 600's, [email protected] mech cam, eddy heads, 9.8:1 compression, big exhaust with reverse flow mufflers. I estimate 450-470 net horsepower. No over achiever by any means but very reliable and low maintenance.

What would you estimate the HP of this engine? Thanks, LK

The engine is a 76 truck 440 with 32,000 miles. I had the block ball honed and cleaned, and new cam bearings. It has new rings and bearings, and a new Melling HV/HP oil pump. New aluminum water pump housing and pump. The heads have been milled .030, port matched and had the bowls blended, and had a valve job. It has a Hughes whiplash cam lifters and valve springs. The cam specs are... .518/.518 lift
232/245 @.050. 107 lobe separation and 102 installed centerline. The headers are 1-7/8” primary with 3” exhaust and Dynomax race bullet mufflers. The intake is a new Edelbrock CH16 dual quad with the script removed and painted to look like a 1962 Chrysler 300 413. The carbs are 600 cfm Edelbrocks
I use performance trends on every engine I spec and build. I have a dyno in my shop and the program is very accurate, if you put accurate info into it. And for example it predicts cranking compression so if you don't know the compression you can do a compression test and manipulate the numbers backwards to match the readings you take off the engine. Besides HP and torque it plots an advance curve, lets you use different octane fuels, calculates injector sizes, and a ton more. If you want to learn how an engine really operates, the manual that comes with it is worth the cost of the program. 400HP would be my guess on your engine output. https://www.performancetrends.com/download-2018.htm#ea3

Auto Transport Service
Back