• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 id

JDAVIS3611

Local time
10:19 AM
Reaction score
I have a opportunity to purchase a complete 440 can anyone let me know what the upper and bottom numbers are

95E06981-1DAB-4B4B-A799-1900E45E1D79.png

There is a flat pad on the block up on the top on the front left side with codes stamped into it that will also tell you things about what is inside the engine when it was new

There is a flat pad on the block up on the top on the front left side with codes stamped into it that will also tell you things about what is inside the engine when it was new
Could it still have been installed in a 1970 coronet originally. I want to put in a 1970 RR. I have four speed what do I look for to tell if the crank was drilled for it if you know

The date on the side of the block I can not tell what the last number is
If it is a 69 it might have made it into an early 70 model car as they did sart building them in 69

As for if the crank is driled for a 4 speed or not to be sure I think you will have to look at the end of the crank
I think most were drilled in that era

Looks like it was cast 6/3/65 to me. Probably came out of a 1966 car.
If it doesn't have the bushing it's no big deal, there are affordable options to add one from Brewers.

Screenshot_20231226_111038_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231226_110830_Chrome.jpg

Like 70 sublime suggested, take a pic of the machined pad at the front top for more specifics.

The date on the side of the block I can not tell what the last number is
If it is a 69 it might have made it into an early 70 model car as they did sart building them in 69

As for if the crank is driled for a 4 speed or not to be sure I think you will have to look at the end of the crank
I think most were drilled in that era
The motor is definitely a 1966 cast but there no numbers stamped on top pad. I have a 1970 383 numbers matching original I wanted to put a 440 in for me will it hurt car value as long as I keep original motor. He said was in a 1970 coronet but I do not know why they have no numbers stamped on top

It could have been in a 70 Coronet when last guy found the engine does not mean it started out in a 70 Coronet :)

Auto Transport Service
Back