• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 Mathematical

RayHemi

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:32 AM
Reaction score
I've started a 440 for a 65 Satellite that from the factory ran a 383. There was no engine for the car when I Bought it.

The engine work's been started in that it was sourced from Michigan and according to the seller comes out of a mobile home. I don't know the mileage but the seller thinks it would probably run. A/C compressor was still intact but I said, "Keep it". Following also is the engine's future bay.

The original rods are the LY @ 6.678 length X 2.4965 (inside diameter of crank pin end of rod / no bearing installed), w/2.376 inside diameter while carrying it's bearing. I think crank pin is 2.375 spec. Crank was not measured by me before machining. The machinist took crank measurements and sent the crankshaft to be ground separately. My measurements here were taken with a decent digital 6 in. caliper. I mention that because these are merely references. I'll be more accurate later on. 1.017 equals rod crank end width. We weighed an LY rod @ 820g. Temperature here is 71 degrees Fahrenheit, 50% humidity.

Out of shipping crate and onto a cradle:

Off of shipping crate.png

Satellite in 97' copy.png
Engine Home .png

Last edited:
Seems to me your asking these questions way to late in the process. Sounds like you already own the block !!

Motorhome ... depending on age may not be a 440 and may even be a truck block with 8-bolt crank and reverse rotation cam, etc..

My opinion would be to find a car block. A '74 will have a beefier block and will have heads with hardened valve seats.

Got any photos or numbers off the block? It could be industrial 413. Reverse rotation is only from a boat.

Reverse rotation is only from a boat.
No it ain’t !!!

Reverse rotation is only from a boat.
No it ain’t !!!
What other instances were there? I can't imagine there would be a reason for a reverse rotation engine in a truck, necessitating the manufacture of a reverse rotation transmission and rear differential to go with it. What would be the advantage?

What other instances were there? I can't imagine there would be a reason for a reverse rotation engine in a truck, necessitating the manufacture of a reverse rotation transmission and rear differential to go with it. What would be the advantage?
Only the cam rotates in reverse !!!

Oil pump gear is cut in the opposite direction. The cam is gear driven off the crank. Truck cranks are 8 bolt and useless.

don’t get huffy, we are trying to learn here. First I heard of this idea. Never seen it it any parts book for a car or truck.

What is the application for the backwards cam? Year, make, model, cubic inches?

Last edited:
don’t get huffy, we are trying to learn here. First I heard of this idea. Never seen it it any parts book for a car or truck.

What is the application for the backwards cam? Year, make, model, cubic inches?
But what if the cam rotates forward and the crank turns backwards....

Reverse rotation 440 in a motorhome chassis??!! Pix or it did'nt happen. :poke:

Apologies, I misread your original post and thought you were referring to a reverse rotation engine assembly such as for marine use. You're right, there were some reverse rotation cams in certain 361-413 truck and industrial engines, using gear drive instead of chain driven cams.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back