• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 Mathematical

He's screwed unless he moves to the southern hemisphere where stuff rotates backwards.

Mathematical?
New rods, new pistons, new machinist. A point made by beanhead1967GTX is that basically - expect to know nothing until you start with parts in hand. I needed to have rough numbers to be able to talk to vendors as soon as I would be able to get them (numbers). Dyno day for me is $800.00 per session. I am not a math wizard but I'll use as much as I can find. So I'll be looking for as high amount of torque as the engine will make for the widest rpm range I can handle given the car's final setup. That is all the title really refers to. For me at this stage of the build that is a major focus. As you can see, at this point the car barely even exists. So tire sizes, gearing etc. needs at this point to be forecast to something reasonably close. So yes, I have little money for experimentation. As it stands I'll need two to three engine dyno sessions -- and maybe some guidance as well. So though on one hand the guy with the dyno's a good friend that I know will help out, on the other hand I wouldn't want to waste his time.

Last edited:
I've started a 440 for a 65 Satellite that from the factory ran a 383. There was no engine for the car when I Bought it.

The engine work's been started in that it was sourced from Michigan and according to the seller comes out of a mobile home.
Was the previous owner keeping it in the living room or what? :)

Last edited:
Motor home 440s, I like them.
Funny this subject comes up again.
Just watched Nick's garage on u tube dyno a 72 ,440 standard bore and bottom.
Pistons 150 below deck. Left the original bearings , cam ect.
Owner stuck a set of 516 heads on and a 750 holley on a cast intake.
That was it, running through stock cast truck manifolds it pulled 334hp and 402lbs off the crank.
True no alternator , fan, ect.
But that's pretty good .
$750 on swap meet bolt ons your North of 400 hp prob 450 lbs.
Plus you can gas her up at any C store on 87. I fail to see the down side.

Mathematical value = ZERO.....the car is a useless hulk and the $$$ you would need to spend to "fix it up" and make road worthy is simply not worth it. If you own it, sell it......
BOB RENTON
We'll find out.

Got any photos or numbers off the block? It could be industrial 413. Reverse rotation is only from a boat.
Yes. Didn't get the ones off the back yet.

Last edited:
Yes. Didn't get the ones off the back yet.

Bottom 1 P.png

Pad 1 P.png

Pad 2 P.png

Side 1 P.png

This shows us a 1972 440 from a C-body car. Good engine to have for your hotrod.

so no reverse rotation cam, no other weird BS that will be mentioned on Friday the 13th!!

Reverse rotation is only from a boat.
No it ain’t !!!
Name a reverse rotation BB Mopar that wasn't used in a marine application. And what driveline that it was attached to.
Doug

@dvw he is trying to say that some engines had the only camshaft turning opposite direction.

And of corse there has been no year, make, model, or application given.

@dvw he is trying to say that some engines had the only camshaft turning opposite direction.

And of corse there has been no year, make, model, or application given.
So the engine was not reverse rotation. What would be the reason for turnibg the csm in reverse? Eliminate the timing chain? And then build a one off cam. Doesn't make much sense. Maybe for an industrial pump motor on LPG or propane that runs constantly.
Doug

At one time Motor Trend did a rebuild project on an old Dodge D700 that once belonged to Dick Landy. This is the view of the gear drive cam from that truck:
1697223336925.jpeg

Large series trucks (highway haulers, dump trucks, some motorhomes) used these engines with the reverse cams and low compression dished pistons. They were intended for long and continuous use. Dodge pulled out of the large truck market after 1976.

So the engine was not reverse rotation. What would be the reason for turnibg the csm in reverse? Eliminate the timing chain? And then build a one off cam. Doesn't make much sense. Maybe for an industrial pump motor on LPG or propane that runs constantly.
Doug
Manufacturing a 'one off' cam probably wasn't a big concern for Chrysler, since those engines also had different heads, intake and exhaust manifolds, pushrods, distributor, pistons, timing cover and oil pump compared to passenger car engines. One more extra part wasn't going to be a deal breaker.

Eliminate the timing chain?
I think that pretty much nails it.
More reliable. Stable timing. Etc.
Was it the stove bolt 6s that had gears as well? Probably many older motors.
Going to chain probably for noise reduction

This shows us a 1972 440 from a C-body car. Good engine to have for your hotrod.

so no reverse rotation cam, no other weird BS that will be mentioned on Friday the 13th!!
Thanks R413. The seller had it tagged "72 440" as though the unit had been inventoried. If that is the case who knows for how long and with what else it'd been sitting. At first I wanted some valve covers from the same guy but somehow missed out. It turns out that the ones on this engine were good and maybe better. He did say it turns good. Al Callaway at Burtonsville Speed and Machine told me, "Well careful because sometimes that could mean they're worn out". I jumped. I'm glad I did.

Auto Transport Service
Back