• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 mopar weird engine tick

A vacuum leak on a carburated engine should cause a low idle speed I think.

Doesn't sound like a vacuum leak since it stopped so suddenly when you shut off the engine

A vacuum leak will cause a higher idle speed because it allows un-metered air in.

Sorry! Haven't replied for a while. The ticking noise has yet to come back and I found out that when I put the manifold back on it didn't seal correctly so I had a wicked vacuum leak causing the almost supercharger like whine. The only thing I can think of that the ticking was being caused by was a lifter may have not had oil in it from sitting for a while? Either way everything is working and sounding as it should now. Thanks to all of you!

Had a friend tearing his hair out hunting down tick in his 440 powered 1963 Dodge wagon.
Several oil pan and move the pickup tube attempts later noticed a shiny spot where the front crank counterweight hitting.
Original tear down was replace leaking oil pan gasket

Alright I've got a confusing problem going on.

So I went to take my charger out the other weekend and when I fired it up I noticed a loud ticking noise. When it first started it was intermittent, but after a few revs to clear the cobwebs it became constant. Also, it fluctuates with the rpm. I pulled the valve cover and checked to see if a lifter was collapsed by cranking it to close the valves and pressing to see if I could push the lifters but they checked out. So I pulled the intake and got to the cam to see if there was any scoring. I checked this because it sounds more like a sliding metallic noise rather than a ticking or clinking noise. Everything looked fine in there as well. Double checked the lifters and they seemed fine again. Threw it all back together and and torqued the valvetrain again and still have the noise plus what I assume is a vacuum leak but that's a simple fix so I'm not worried about that. Any ideas on what else to check would be greatly appreciated as I am stumped at this point.

Remove the alternator belt and try it again....my alternator started to make that noise after about 60k

Auto Transport Service
Back