• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 motor

justjim

Local time
4:53 AM
Reaction score
i am getting different results as far as how many exhaust manifolds bolts go into the water jackets ??

so ALL 8 of them are in the water jackets ?

Some heads have been found to have just a couple, some heads have been found to have all of them. Probably depends on how far the holes were drilled originally. Maybe some were close to being drilled all the way through but not all the way and might rust through later on.

Don't take a chance and find one leaking after manifold or header installation.

I find the Permatex #2 makes them easier to remove at a later date also. Won't let them rust solid into the heads. Some have used liquid Teflon also.

All of them. I like Permatex Aviation, or now Permatex high temp pipe compound. Both at auto house. Clean the block holes with (3) qtips bundled together and brake clean. It lets you bend them in. Use the plastic ones not cardboard.

The ones on each end may not, but a bit of silicone on each bolt does make it easier to remove later.

Stick a small screw driver in the holes and figure it out for your self. then you will know. and you can be the expert

I have a 68 440 with 906 heads and just removed the studs. All of them go into the water jacket

Any you find that don’t go into water are the oddities.
I have never seen any “normal” big block head where all 6 didn’t go into water.
But I suppose there could be some that are corroded closed from the inside.

On SB heads, only the end holes go into water.

I’m not sure what the situation would be with the 413 MH heads.

I agree with PRH, if there is one that the end hole doesn't go to water it's unusual. IIRC correctly I had one 906 and maybe one 516 that had a hole that didn't go to water. I figure just a casting flaw. Use a dab of silicone. Never had any motor home heads, some are a very different casting.

Auto Transport Service
Back