• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 not pumping fuel after new fuel pump installed

Maybe this was mentioned? Does your car have a vapor separator with a return line? Add a carb spacer? Add a electric fan to keep the air moving under the hood after shutdown? And use ethanol free gasoline?

Thanks for all the help! It ended up being the pushrod. Only about an eighth of an inch short, but wouldn’t pump any fuel at all. Picture shows difference between old & new.

View attachment 1297569
I just wen through this mess with my 72 GTX. Pushrod was 1/4 inch short. 50 years of wear.

IMG-3801.jpg

After running up to temp in heat, I could hear my afb boiling, car at 195. It would boil over into the engine. Wood insulator stopped it. Blocking crossover also, using non oxy fuel?

Thanks for all the help! It ended up being the pushrod. Only about an eighth of an inch short, but wouldn’t pump any fuel at all. Picture shows difference between old & new.
Was gonna say, mine still drove with a push rod worse than that, only at WOT it stalled when the fuel bowls were sucked dry.
If in "cold" condition it has no issues at all but only hot it is likely a fuel vapor issue.
Do you use a fuel filter with the vapor return line? Filter has 3 hose barbs, In, Out & vapor return.
This should give the build up vapors to escape back to tank and helps with vapor lock issues.
Pack your fuel line in good quality heat wrap where it runs close to hot surfaces. Done already i see....

Auto Transport Service
Back