• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 Radiator Lower Hose Location

RockyPat

Local time
2:52 AM
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a 440 that I am going to swap into my 71 318 Charger, and I am having some trouble figuring out which 26" radiator I would need for my big block if I go that route.

I have been told that some radiators have a lower hose on the driver side and others on the passenger side, and that this difference depends on what water pump housing I use.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Here is a picture of my water pump housing:
F39F24AC-445B-4ADE-99A2-DEC58686CACD.jpeg

From what I can tell, it seems like lower hose would be on the passenger side. Is that correct?

Thanks!

Last edited:
It is not dependent on the water pump, but the water pump housing. Just because it's a '78 block will not guarantee that the housing has not been changed before. I would wait until you get the engine and see which direction the lower hose opening on the housing is pointing and then get the radiator.

Several different water pump housings, the most common B body housing is lower drivers side. The water pump is the same with either.

Hello everyone,

I have a 440 that I am going to swap into my 71 318 Charger, and I am having some trouble figuring out which 26" radiator I would need for my big block if I go that route.

I have been told that some radiators have a lower hose on the driver side and others on the passenger side, and that this difference depends on what water pump I use.

Can anyone help me out with this?

My 440 is a 1978 casting, but I do not have a picture of the water pump I have for it. I can get a picture later on.

Thanks!
Getting to do the same picking 1 and 3/4 for the bottom 18 inch and 1 and 1/2 24 for the top.

1973 and up went to the passenger side lower hose, you can do what ever housing you want to use since you will probably want to upgrade your radiator as well. Just match the housing to the radiator.

Mark

1973 and up went to the passenger side lower hose, you can do what ever housing you want to use since you will probably want to upgrade your radiator as well. Just match the housing to the radiator.

Mark
Whats a really good up grade for a radiator five core?

Drivers side on 71 for the lower hose. Passenger for the upper.

To the OP, please do not take any advice on 4/5 row radiators or 3/4 row aluminum. Do some serious research. A 2 row aluminum w 1.25" rows in a 26" radiator cools a 496 w 610hp in 125° heat. I have not used a brass radiator, but my understanding is w modern coring on brass, 3 rows is max and will cool a 440 all day long. After that the radiator is too dense and will not allow air to flow through it efficiently.

To the OP, please do not take any advice on 4/5 row radiators or 3/4 row aluminum. Do some serious research. A 2 row aluminum w 1.25" rows in a 26" radiator cools a 496 w 610hp in 125° heat. I have not used a brass radiator, but my understanding is w modern coring on brass, 3 rows is max and will cool a 440 all day long. After that the radiator is too dense and will not allow air to flow through it efficiently.
Thank you that does answer my question.

It is not dependent on the water pump, but the water pump housing. Just because it's a '78 block will not guarantee that the housing has not been changed before. I would wait until you get the engine and see which direction the lower hose opening on the housing is pointing and then get the radiator.

Thanks for your comment. You are correct! I made a mistake in my comment. I fixed it now and included a picture of my pump housing in the post. I appreciate the advice!

Several different water pump housings, the most common B body housing is lower drivers side. The water pump is the same with either.

Thanks Jerry. You're right that there are several different ones and about the water pump. I cleared up my post to reflect these things.

Mark

Thanks Mark. I believe mine is a passenger side water pump housing from looking at it now. I also have a driver side housing from a 383, but I do not know if they fit on 440s.

Drivers side on 71 for the lower hose. Passenger for the upper.

Thanks for the comment. It seems like my housing is off a later engine because I believe it is a passenger side lower.

Thanks for your comment. You are correct! I made a mistake in my comment. I fixed it now and included a picture of my pump housing in the post. I appreciate the advice!
All good its fun to learn I am just trying also.

Thanks Diesel, your comments about radiators are always very helpful. I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my post. I will make sure to go for a 2 row radiator.

The water pump housings on the 383 will also work on the 440.

Auto Transport Service
Back