• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 rear main seal

PAPA_E

Local time
3:59 PM
Reaction score
So I did read the sticky

I also searched the forums. However I had a few issues. So the rope seal on my 440 is something else.

both ends were matched flush with the block so I have nothing to pull on. I tried pushing it out with a small 1/4 extension as it was flat as opposed to a screw driver. No dice.

the bottom half took some serious effort to pop out and I had the block in my hands.

so the problem is the motor is in the car and don’t have a good way to say pull the motor and pull the crank.

if I were to loosen the main caps to maybe pick the seal out which if like the bottom will be a nightmare of a job what am I looking at?

can I simple retorque the main bolts? I imagine they are stretch bolts as they look original. So I assume I’d be replacing those.

I was also curious when I manage to get the damn thing out as far as cleaning the gasket groove... just spray a lot of brake clean and run some of those shop paper towels through? The bottom groove had specks and fibers and real tacky bits in it.

thanks
-Alex

Should find one at Advanced auto parts or maybe NAPA

20200603_004626.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back