• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 Source Heads ... experiences?

Art Bee

Local time
10:55 PM
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Just getting ready to start building the 440 for my 69 GTX and am debating on a set of 440 Source aluminum heads. Can anyone here pass on their experience with these ... the good, the bad and the ugly would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Art

1 word, awesome.

there good priced built well and look like stock heads..

my cousin is a mopar drag racing engine builder and he prefers them over edelbrocks. he said he has seen to many flaws in edelbrocks and overpriced.
you read on the net about dodgy castings but that was years ago they have perfected now i think and they say to change to better springs and valves which you dont need to for a stock or mild engine, but i did on mine because its a stroker.

There's some good info in the racer's forum about them. IQ52 has flow numbers posted for them and gives some good info about them.

After you get your fill of flow numbers, I can say from experience they are fine. I will never know their potential until I take them off and have they worked but I have a set of the stealth's with 1.5 ratio rockers, other than making sure the lifter rods didn't rub excessively on the sides they went together fine and bolted right on and I have been running them for a little over a year now and have some real ground pounding torque. For the money they are a great deal.

For the money they are fine! If you are planning on flogging them? Replace the retainers and keepers with a good set of 10 degree! Also the springs if you're using a cam bigger than a 500 lift ! I found out the hard way!! All in all a good set of heads.

I purchased the 440 Super Stealth heads for my motor build and looking forward to when the motor is finally done.

The springs are actually good till .600 lift. Good stuff have a set on my 451 build with 1.7 rockers. Waiting stadt it up finishing my dana first. But yes upgrade the retainers and locks.

I'm just now building a stroker with new Stealths.

I'd say overall they look pretty good. Some minor flaws in the castings can be found, but with a little porting work they look quite good. The supplied valve locks look like toys in comparison with Compcams 10 degree locks. Can't say about the retainers but I replace those too.

I must compliment 440Source for excellent customer service. We had a disagreement about one of the supplied heads, but after some initial discussion 440Source solved it to my complete satisfaction. Also the technical support is great and quick.

I bought a set in 2009 and everything was fine except for a weird step on the backside of the valve seat on the intake. I posted pictures and experience on moparts I believe, back in 2009. I had them bowl ported and better springs put in and sold them to a coworker who has them on his 451. Work great. I hear from my machine shop that did the work MEW, that the more current castings have zero issues as an entry level performance head.

Dan

Hey guys.

To all that responded, thanks very much for the information ... I greatly appreciate your time and honest feed back. Looks like I'll get a set then. Still not sure if I'll go stroker or not, but in either case I'm just looking for a low RPM engine that makes lots of torque ... I'm more of a 3:23/2:93 passing gear kinda guy.

Kindest regards
Art

Auto Transport Service
Back